1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible email virus or spam?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by harkasan, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harkasan

harkasan Thread Starter

hello all,

over the past week, I've been getting an email from "postmaster" with the subject line "Warning: Message Not Delivered - Attachment Restriction" looking like I had sent a bum email. thing is these things usually come instantaneously after you fire off an email. out of curiosity, I opened the emails and doesn't look like a bad email. this is the body of the email:

Your message has been trapped and will be automatically deleted
    due to its attachments. Due to the risk posed by e-mail viruses
    we are not accepting messages that have any of the following
    attachment types:

.BAS .BAT .CHM .CMD .COM
    .CPL .DLL .EXE .HLP .HTA
    .HTM .HTML .INF .INS .ISP
    .JSE .JS .LNK .MHT .MHTML
    .MSI .MSC .MSP .MST .OPS
    .PIF .PI .PRF .REG .SHB
    .SCF .SCR .SCT .SHS .URL
    .VB* .WSC .WSF .WSH .XML
    .ZI

Please do not resend your message, as it will be rejected again for
    containing attachments which are restricted.

This is an automated message. Please do not reply.

Your message information follows:

RECIPIENT(s):
    [email protected]

SUBJECT:
    Thank you!

MESSAGE ID:
    <[email protected]>

HOST:
    DWSMHHERMES

can someone tell me what this is? is it a virus or is it a new kind of spam? thanks for the help.

2. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

(n) I was getting just about the same emails about once a week but mine had an attachment. It looked legit, with the isp providers name, address and all. It said that I was sending mos attack trojans to other people and that they were going to cancel my subscription unless I cleared up my system. It said to use the attachment to get rid of the trojan. I know it was a fake cause the end of the email should have your isp provider or someone to contact. The postmaster note at the end was the giveaway. I went into properties, found the return address, the same person was sending them cause I kept track of them. I let my ISP provider know about it and so far have not received anymore. Hope you didn't have an attachment with it and opened it. There is a definite MOS attack virus out there being sent by just these kinds of email. I got my firewall set to stop everything with an attachment, do not open them.

3. nick reynolds

nick reynolds

Have been getting several emails saying "undeliverable email" allegedly sent by me to addresses I've never heard of.

eg This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.

Have AVG and scan shows no viruses. Is my computer trying to send these emails or is it someone else trying to send them using my address?

4. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

Is that all it says? Does it have your ISP providers name in the email notification? It is signed at the bottom by postmaster? If so, while email is highlighted, go to file, then properties. See who is sending them, then ask your ISP provider if they know of any of this action happening. I got a few of them and they also said that they are shutting down my internet connection if I don't fix my sending infected emails by using their fixit.

5. nick reynolds

nick reynolds

Well - I've had quite a few and they take different formats. Seem to be from my isp or from the isp of the intended recipient. Whichever, when I go to properrties it doesn't tell me anything useful.

6. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

The return address at the top was always the same on the ones I received. Have you called your isp provider to find out? Thats how I made sure they were fake, even though you could tell they weren't.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice