Possible for Motherboard BIOS to come with a trojan/malicious software?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bonecrusher123

hey all, was just wondering if it's possible for this to happen? can the motherboard BIOS write to the HDD? i'm asking because i'll be buying a 2nd hand mboard.

never used an old mboard before so i was just wondering.

thanks

crjdriver

Yes, it is possible for a bios to have been infected. That is why some boards have a bios protect jumper; to stop a virus from writing to the bios.

Note is is NOT common but it is possible.

Read the PDF file I referenced in post #6. If you are that worried about purchasing a used motherboard with a virus in the BIOS the solution is simple, don't purchase the motherboard.

Anytime you purchase a used motherboard "caveat emptor" applies.

Bonecrusher123

Read the PDF file I referenced in post #6. If you are that worried about purchasing a used motherboard with a virus in the BIOS the solution is simple, don't purchase the motherboard.

Anytime you purchase a used motherboard "caveat emptor" applies.
what does caveat emptor mean?

is there any way to tell if there was a virus in the BIOS?

crjdriver

Caveat Emptor. Latin for let the buyer beware. You are buying a used part, of course it is not in the same condition as a new part.

As I posted, a bios virus is rare however not impossible. If you are really really worried, then order a new bios chip from either the board maker or badflash.net. Install the new chip and you have no worries.

Bonecrusher123

ok, thanks.

like you said, i could just flash it right and there would be no risk? how do i flash it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online