1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible fried AGP slot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tooth518, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tooth518

tooth518 Thread Starter

My old agp video card was a 4600, it recently died while playing a game. Now when it died I was just under the assumption that the video card itself had fried, as it was running on it's last legs for quite some time (artifacts on screen). While it was running in it's hurting state before it finally died, I tested another agp video card in the agp slot, and it ran perfectly fine. The question I guess i'm asking, is when the video card finally decided to pack it in, did it take the AGP slot with it?

Reason I ask, is I just received my new video card today, a BFG 6600gt oc. It didn't work when I first got it, and after multiple attempts to fix it (like IRQ conflicts, bios versions, etc.) it still doesn't work. The thing that's getting me though, is the LED's and the fan on the video card both turn on when i boot the computer up. Wouldn't this suggest the agp slot is working fine?

BTW, i'm on the same computer running a PCI card. The PSU is a 420w thermaltake so I don't see how it's a power issue.

Help please! :(

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

Its unlikely the agp port is dead completely, something to note is that many computers that are more than a year old have trouble with the absolute newest video cards, at least thats my experience, the card may draw more current than the motherboard can handle and it doesn't work as a result.
    (remember your PSU can be any size, even huge and if your motherboard can't supply enough juice through the agp socket the new card won't work properly)

Easiest way to find out would be to install an old working 16mb/32mb AGP card and see if it posts, if so your motherboard just might not like the card.

What model motherboard do you have anyway?

Cheers

3. tooth518

tooth518 Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the reply.

My mobo is a asus p4t533-c. I can try another agp video card in here without risk to the card if the agp slot is in fact fried?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    *cut my thread* I didn't read the paragraph properly :(

I don't think it's possible for the video card to cause any electrical damage to the slot... maybe a overfluxing PSU...

5. Cell

Cell

i looked up your board and i noticed it has a 4x agp slot. i was just wondering if the new vid card is compatible.. (i couldnt find any def. specs on the board)

6. tooth518

tooth518 Thread Starter

Yeah I was wondering that too. However, a friend of mine has the XFX 6600gt, and his board is only 4x and his works nicely. So i'm not sure abuot that...

Overfluxing PSU? I'm using that PSU as I type, but I guess you mean when it's needed to pump out more juice for the 6600gt, it's failing?

7. Cell

Cell

if you have the manual for the card check the specs.. all i found was agp 2.0. not sure it that means 2x agp or what.

8. tooth518

tooth518 Thread Starter

Yeah I checked the min req's for the card in the manual, says agp 2.0 which is 4x.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you remember to plug in the auxilary power connection into the video card?

An AGP 8X card should run fine in a 4X slot but maybe it is a compatibility issue with your specific motherboard.

10. tooth518

tooth518 Thread Starter

I just got a friends agp card in here and it works fine, so either the card is screwed, my mobo is somehow not compatable, which i find hard to believe since the min reqs are a pIII. I'm beyond confused.

11. Cell

Cell

could have been the card was damaged when it was shipped or just faulty could try returning it and getting a different or same model.

12. tooth518

tooth518 Thread Starter

Ya i'm gonna call and RMA it tomorrow. Waste of so much time. grrrr.

thanks for the replies though :)

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what I meant by overfluxing (not a real word but..) is that the PSU is sending a little more power than it should. But it looks like a video card issue here. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice