1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible GPU Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dracious, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dracious

Dracious Thread Starter

I have been having these issues for a while but due to limited time and money (im a student at University) I have been putting off this issue for a while, however it has recently got even more problematic in the past couple of days. I am pretty competent with computers, however I'm not very good with hardware or fixing them.

The problem started with my monitors going black and not receiving any output from my computer. Sometimes the audio would continue to work both ways, e.g if im in a skype call when it crashes I can still communicate with people, yet other times the audio would just be in a very small loop. Sometimes once the screen went off I would still be able to control my computer for a while (i tend to check this by pressing the caps lock key and seeing if the light changes on my keyboard, i dont know if this is reliable or not) however alt tabbing or ctrlaltdeling would cause the computer to fully crash behind the dead screens.

At first this was very uncommon to happen, I had done no recent changes to my computer hardware or software wise and had no idea what could have caused it besides possibly the graphics card since the screens stopped getting output from the pc?

After a week or so of this I worked out that it would tend to crash faster on games, some faster than others, however sometimes it would still crash whilst simply browsing the internet etc. I also found out that if the game didnt crash withen the first 5-10 minutes of playing certain games (Insurgency ended up being my testing game since it would crash very quickly on that game) then my computer would be at no risk of crashing at all until it was shut down/put into sleep mode. I seemed like a coincidence at first but after months of this is was too regular to be random chance (this issues started in october i think?).

Since then the issues have been the same for several months, some days it would be better with no crashes, somedays it would take a doze or so crashes before it became stable. In the last couple of days it has been impossible for me to play any games due to it crashing every time without fail, which is a huge difference to how it normally is, it would probably be a 70-30 chance of it crashing on any given start up before, but in the last 2 days and about 50 attempts it has crashed 100% of the time, sometimes on start up sometimes when running the insurgency test.

The things i have tried to fix this include:
    5 different screens using all of the different types of cables - sometimes after changing the display layout with different numbers of screens it would make the computer more reliable for a day or two but that only happened a couple of times and may have been coincidence

anti virus/malware checks - no malware

reinstall windows 7

my friend helped me do some kind of hardware check, i cant remember what it was called unfortunately, he said it was something to do with if a piece of hardware fails itll make a note of it so he can check it after the crash? that came back with nothing

run a disk check - no fault

Reseated and cleaned the GPU

Set the system up at a different household completely - no effect

I dont know what else to do besides fully formatting my drives and starting from scratch, hoping that will work, or simply buying a new GPU when I can get the money and seeing if that makes a difference. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place, I dont know what the problem is exactly but it seems most likely to be the GPU so i thought id try here.

Any help diagnosing the problem or how to fix it would be very helpful, the alternative to help online would be to spend god knows how much on hourly rates at a store to get it fixed :/

Thanks in advance!

computer specs

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 8105 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series, -1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1907729 MB, Free - 386236 MB; D: Total - 99 MB, Free - 61 MB; E: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 240278 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97 R2.0
    Antivirus: None

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Provide as much of a description as you can on the power supply unit.

If you can submit a screenshot image of its label, that's even better.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. Dracious

Dracious Thread Starter

Ok ive added a photo of the power supply label, is this right?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    (y)

I'm not a hard-core gamer nor a power supply expert, so be patient and wait until crjdriver or Triple6 or etaf or one of the other hardware experts replies.

-------------------------------------------------------

5. Dracious

Dracious Thread Starter

ok thanks for the help so far anyway!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck.

I've submitted a request for a hardware expert to reply.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a pretty low quality pw supply. From the label, it shows a total of 44amp on the two 12V rails. Any decent 750W unit should have 50~60amp on the 12V rail.

The very first thing I would do would be to download and install asus probe. Once you have probe installed, post the following;
    cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.
    Here is a link to the support page for your mb;
    http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/

Note probe is part of the asus suite under utilities. It is a large download however you do not have to install everything; you can select the items to install.

8. Dracious

Dracious Thread Starter

Ok I have added screenshots of what you asked for just to be thorough, as well as the event log in the opening post (thought it might be better to put all the information in one post)

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, all three of your voltage rails are low; the 5V is not too bad however the 12V is pretty low. To confirm the pw supply as being a problem, do the following.

1 Download either prime95 or IBT [both free downloads] I like prime95 however either one will suffice.
    2 With probe open and running, run prime95 and post a screenshot of probe while prime95 is running
    3 Note let prime95 run for at least 5min prior to taking the screenshot. This will allow temps and voltages to stabilize.

If you use IBT, do monitor temps carefully. IBT does generate more heat than prime95 so watch temps.

10. Dracious

Dracious Thread Starter

I tried doing the prime95 test with probe running and it crashed withen a couple of minutes, before i got a chance to check the probe results, i wasnt expecting it to crash it that fast if im honest.

i rebooted started up the test again and this time filmed the probe results on my phone (not elegant i know but i couldnt do much else if its gonna crash) and this time I had to stop the test as my CPU temp climbed really high, i was going above 75c when i stopped it. when i opened probe the temp was about 54.

The results after i stopped the prime95 program at about 2 and a half minutes were:
    Vcore - 1.212V
    3.3 - 3.264
    5 - 4.928
    12 - 11.840
    VDDA - 2.544
    CPU - 75.0 C
    MB - 34.0 C

is that enough information? I have a video of the side bar with all of the voltages and temperatures if thatll help in any way?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, it is pretty obvious that you have an overheating problem along with a low 12V rail. Your max temp really should not go above 60C or so even under 100% load [which is what prime95 does]

Open the case and see if the hsf is clogged with dust, all fans are in fact spinning, etc. Give it a good cleaning with a can of air and repeat the test. If it still overheats, then you are probably going to have to pull the hsf and clean/reapply thermal compound.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I will be off for the rest of the night and will check this in the morning.

13. Dracious

Dracious Thread Starter

ok thanks for the help so far, its half 1 in the morning here so I'll take the computer apart and do what you said in the morning.

thanks a load for all this help, you've helped me more with this problem than anyone in months, including the employees in the local computer repair stores, I really owe you one, you are doing everyone here a great service!

14. Dracious

Dracious Thread Starter

Ok i cleaned out the hsf as well as i could but i didnt have any compressed air and have no thermal paste to reseat the CPU (i have a friend that does but hes out of town at the moment so i cant ask him for it yet). After cleaning i played some insurgency to see if it crashed and it did not, however i then tried another longer game with my friends and it did crash.

After I rebooted I ran the test we tried before with probe open and running prime95, this time i got through the test for 10 minutes without any crashes before cancelling the test so i can pass on the results to you.

Before starting Prime95
    [​IMG]

After 5 minutes
    [​IMG]

After 10 minutes
    [​IMG]

Does this information help at all? I wont be able to do the full clean out of the CPU hsf for at least a few days unfortunately

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Look at your 12V rail under load; down to 11.5V. In short you need a new quality pw supply and you need to fix the overheating.

The stock amd hsf is fine for basic use however if you are going to stress the system, I would really think about getting a high performance hsf. I use and recommend the coolermaster 212 type hsf. I have 3 systems with the coolermaster 212; an overclocked 2500k and two with overclocked fx4350s. All run at 55C or so when running prime95.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

In regard to your pw supply, recommended brands; corsair [only hx, tx, or ax models] seasonic, pcpower&cooling or FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty] Here is an example of what you need;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice