1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible Hard Drive Enclosure failure. Possible HD failure.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonasdatum, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonasdatum

jonasdatum Thread Starter

Hey guys and gals. I was trying to backup some files (yet another issue). My external hard drive enclosure appears to be malfunctioning. Or it could be the SATA drive itself. You see when I try to turn it on the computer can't read it. Perhaps it was a power surge or something IDK. Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations?

Tomorrow I'll try to take the computer apart and test the drive itself; I have a limited number of SATA interfaces on my motherboard and one of them is connected to the OS HD. I hope it is o.k., there are some recent backups I don't want to lose. Would be a pain to ask for those last few documents at work and rescan them. Guess I am going to need 4 external backups.

It is a Manhattan USB / EATA Enclosure 3.5 (large internal HD). Model Number unknown.

I knew I should have invested in 'more' storage :( . Well, my weekly backup was today even though I normally backup files right after.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    You won't know till you test the HDD .. I always get two enclosures and two HDDS ..
    Then I also have a spare Enclosure till I can replace it if needed.

3. jonasdatum

I tired the HD and it didn't work. It' stalled my system on start-up. When I tried it in the enclosure; the drive was somewhat detected. In that the OS displayed it in 'My Computer', but couldn't access it. I guess the drive is dead yes?

On that note I am looking for old school PCI card that supports both IDE and SATA (and eSata). For you see I am going to do just that and I have for the moment and older computer. Most of the cards that I've found are PCI Express interface cards.

Can I use a PCI Express card in an older PCI slot? Couldn't find anything saying I could or could not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Here are some ex maples of what I am looking for:

This one would be great except I need something with external ports.
    Rosewill RC-215 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G x2 / ATA 133 (IDE) x1 Controller Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132009

MASSCOOL PCI Card, 1 external SATA + 2 internal SATA and 1 internal IDE Model XWT-RC018
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280001

Also if anybody knows where I can get SATA to eSATA cables (for future upgrades) please let me know. If I am going to throw down for cards, I am going to make them last as long as possible.

4. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
  5. jonasdatum

6. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Maybe a recovery program can see it ???

7. jonasdatum

When I get the enclosure I will see if the drive can be read at all, but my PC can't. I decided to send the RAID card back. First I'll test the new drive. Then I will test the old one. My computer keeps freezing up every time I try to access the old-drive. When I plug it into my computer or the enclosure I currently have.

I hope the drive is not fried, but since I plugged it into the computer via SATA connection and it didn't work it probably is. The only other thing I could do is wipe the OS... again, but it isn't due for another 7 months.

8. jonasdatum

I have the new hard drive and the new enclosure. They appear to work fine. I am still working on the old HD and the old enclosure. In control panel / computer management / disk management the drive comes up as "healthy." There was an error message that came up, but I can't get it to come back up. The drive doesn't come up in disk defrag.

Update: I have the error message.

" I :\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect."

So the drive shows up. I can't access it. Doesn't show up on defrag.

What am I to do?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice