1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible Hard Drive Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chevy4x4trucks, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chevy4x4trucks

chevy4x4trucks Thread Starter

This problem started a week or two ago. Whenever I start up my computer I get an error in dos that says "1720 - Hard Drive Detects Iminent Failure" and I am then prompted to either press F1 to boot, or F10 to enter set up. Does anyone know what this error means? The computers run fine and no problems w/ any lost info on the drives. I did install a Maxtor 80 gig drive about a month or two ago.

Any thoughts on this problem?

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Don't buy a Compaq again ;) ;) j/k

That your bios is detecting a hard drive that is having problems, even though it might run for months before it finally goes out. I have had them run for months after I get that message.

I would be on the lookout for errors.

You can go over here and download a trial version of a program that can give you more information about your drive. It can also give an estimate on how much time before failure.

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/

3. ETS

ETS

Don't know if its fixable, but 1720 is "bad diagnostic cylinder" which is an old IBM hardware error. If it's coming from the new drive then I would send it back if it's still under warranty. Otherwise, I would suggest it's time for a new hard drive.

4. chevy4x4trucks

Is there a way to determine what drive the error is coming from? Most of the stuff on the 80 gig is backed up on CD's. It's mostly movies I've downloaded and some program install files.

And don't worry about the compaq. I was very foolish a few years ago and have learned the error of my ways. I've got a few Dells for gaming purposes and I'm building a computer to replace the compaq.

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You will need a third party program.

Try the one in my post above. It will give you the info on each of your drives.

6. ETS

ETS

It's almost certainly your boot drive. I'm guessing that the new 80 gig is not the boot drive, so disconnect it and reboot. If you still get the error message then there's the proof. I doubt you would get the same message with any drive other than the boot one.

7. chevy4x4trucks

The 80 gig is just a back up drive to store all of my downloaded stuff. When I first got DSL I filled up my 15 gig drive and now the 80 gig is about 75% full.

I'll run scandisk on the C Drive and also that program that you linked to and see if it can spot the problem. Hopefully I'll be back on here tonight and can post my findings.

8. chevy4x4trucks

Okay, I downloaded and ran the active smart program. I'm not sure how to work it quite yet. But, I checked both drives and all the checks were green for my master drive (15 gig), and for the Slave drive (new 80 gig) there was one red x "Spin up Retry Count"

I'm not quite sure what the findings on here mean so if someone could enlighten me on what I should be looking for it would be appreciated.

Thanks

9. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Indicates number of times disk was unable to spin platters up on first attempt. In other words it is taking a multipl tries to get the platters to spin.

I think your 80 gig maxtor has developed some problems. You might want to get in touch with Maxtor's Technical support about that problem.

10. chevy4x4trucks

so does this account for the boot error that I was recieving?

I'll contact maxtor to see if my drive was defective and hopefully get this fixed.

Looks like I need to do some burning tonight and start backing up the rest of the stuff on the drive.

11. ETS

ETS

You stated that you received the error message everytime the machine booted up. So, if you disconnect the new drive and still get the message then it's the old drive causing the problem. If you don't get the message after the disconnection then it's the new drive that has the problem.

12. chevy4x4trucks

I'll try disconnecting the new drive to see if that's the problem. But, I ran scandisk last night to see if it would find any bad sectors.

Well, created a boot disk off of a computer w/ win98 and went to run scandisk, but it didn't find the 80 gig drive. I ran the disk check in windows overnight and it found no errors on the drive. So, now I'm stumped. I think the hard drive may be failing so I'm going to back everything up that fits on a cd and contact maxtor about it to see if they know what the problem is.

13. ETS

ETS

14. chevy4x4trucks

I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.

I just emailed maxtor about the problem so I'll see what there response is.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice