1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible hardware problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by desichhokri, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. desichhokri

desichhokri Thread Starter

hi guys im totaly new to hardwares and for a long time my compute was making noice and use to stop and shut on its own. when i opened it i found there were 2 fans, one to the main power supply box and the other one by the mother bord . what i see is the power suppply fan is not at all working and the other one is actually making the noice, it doesnt run continuosly ,it stops and then start again and so on.then all of a sudden the computer might turn off on its own. can any one suggest me whats going on or is there any other problem.please suggest what should i do myself as its too expensive to take it to shop.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

First I would replace the PowerSupply for that PC......you can get fans for the powersupply but I would replace the whole unit and it will be cheaper in the long run.

After replacing the powersupply see how the other fan runs...if it is still noisy then replace that as-well....I assume you mean the heatsink fan (the one on top of the Processor)

3. desichhokri

thanks for the reply.yes the fan attached to psu is not working at all and the other oneis not working continuosly.now when i think of changing the whole psu i cant decide what make and what type i should go for as i had look in website selling parts there were many kinds.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Antec is a good make but there are many others........if you have a link to any of the sites you are looking at post them here we could have a look for you......or post the names of the power supply your looking at at we will help you rate it.

5. desichhokri

hey tnx Bonk, the site is microdirect.co.uk, and plz lemme knw what watts it shd be, thanks again for all ur help(y)

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Those are all in the similar price range ....but get atleast 400W

7. desichhokri

:D orite bonk........will follow ur advice ..........i hope i'll be able to fix it myself............else will bother u guys again......thank u so much:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!