1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible HDD malfunction

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LofB, Jan 10, 2019 at 8:52 PM.

Advertisement
  1. LofB

LofB Thread Starter

Hello everyone, first time poster, so sorry if I mess up ^^

Anyways, I just got a new laptop, specifically a Lenovo 80XS0086IX Ideapad 320-15ABR. Initially it all seemed fine, but as I used it I noticed several problems: 1) it cannot remain in sleep mode for long. After a while, it just switches off abruptly. I have tried several combinations of lid closed/open, power cord in/out, but eventually the result is always the same. 2) When powering it on after these shutdowns, the trackpad does not recognize multiple-fingers gestures, requiring a restart. 3) The disk usage frequently goes up to 100% despite no ongoing activity. 4) Sometimes, pressing the power button to power it on results in the disk starting, then abruptly stopping, then restarting again several times, before the laptop finally starts. 5) The system sometimes freezes for several seconds, even the cursor stops, only to resume any input movement later.

I have tried everything in my knowledge: I updated the BIOS, the HDD firmware, installed all Windows updates, fresh-installed Windows, but nothing seems to work (although the HDD thing apparently solved the "always 100%" problem). I ran both Windows in-built check-disk and third party programs to check for errors on the HDD, but none showed up. I'd be really glad if it was something I can fix at home, since I really need this machine to study, so sending it to be repaired/replaced back at Amazon is my very last option due to time. Hope you guys can help me out, 'cause I've really ran out of know-how ^^

Specs:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A10-9620P RADEON R5, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 101 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7567 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R8 M535DX, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 905 GB (829 GB Free); D: 24 GB (23 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, LNVNB161216
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. replay

replay

u mean....brand new???

3. LofB

LofB Thread Starter

Indeed, it was the last brand new one on Amazon.it. I guess this points even more strongly to an hardware problem, like a production defect, but I'm still hoping it is not.

4. replay

replay

Well.......I know u said that you are trying not to send it back
    But to be honest spending all this time and effort to fix a brand new computer is.......????
    You can buy any laptop at any store and u have at least 14 days to return it ( bestbuy)
    ( while waiting for amazon to replace the returned laptop)

5. LofB

LofB Thread Starter

I am a student living in an apartment in Italy, and in a small town. There is little to no chance I could afford the time or the money to send the present laptop back and buy a new one, even if I was to return it afterwards. Really, my only option is to do something about it, I'm in full exam session as well, and without a laptop I'd be pretty much screwed.

6. LofB

LofB Thread Starter

Anyone? Please?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you think buying new replacement parts for the new laptop will be cheap? It won't be. Send it back to Amazon for an exchange or send it to Lenovo for a warranty repair/replacement. Use a friend's, family member, library, school computer in the meantime for your school work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice