1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible hijacking and virus?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by kychick, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kychick

kychick Thread Starter

My new laptop's trial subscription to Norton's must have expired with me knowing and before I knew it, I had some weird things happen to my laptop.

One, since this weekend, random audio ads will start to play.

Two, my IE will randomly open and go to my homepage. If I try to use my IE and "Google" something, if I click on one of the returned suggested links, it redirects me to a random page. Each time, it's a different random page.

My husband is a computer guy and has tried a few things and just when he thinks it has it fixed, it pops back up. He said he would like to re-install Windows, but I didn't get the software when I bought the computer in July. Thanks, Microsoft! :mad:

Can anyone offer a solution on what might be going on and how we can fix it? Thanks!!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's a new name-brand laptop, it should have a built-in system recovery partition that allows you to revert it back to its original factory condition.

Computer manufacturers started doing this a few years ago to save the cost of providing CD's with a new computer.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. kychick

kychick Thread Starter

We have searched for about an hour trying to find the restore to original factory setting but can't find it. Do you know where it would be for a Sony Vaio model number PCG-71912L?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Read here.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. kychick

kychick Thread Starter

Thanks. As of this morning, when I tried to turn the laptop on, it went straight to a black window with a flashing dash, but you couldn't type anything, it would only beep. I'll try this advice and hit F10 as soon as the computer turns on and the VIAO screen comes on for a second (before it goes blank).

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Keep us posted.

If it's a relatively new laptop, I don't think the hard drive is dying.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. kychick

kychick Thread Starter

Will do. I will try this when I get home from work tonight. It's not even 3 months old. It better not be the hard drive is dying. Thanks for the help thus far!

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Concerning this comment you made earlier:

"My husband is a computer guy and has tried a few things"

it would be interesting to know what he did to try to resolve the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------

9. kychick

kychick Thread Starter

I have no idea what he tried. I think he ran some programs like spybot? I'm really bad at computer stuff, obviously! He did get it factory restored last night, so hopefully I'm good to go now! Thanks, guys!

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Glad to hear the factory restore worked. :) (y)

Click "Mark Solved" at the upper left of this page.

-------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice