1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible HPA on SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SCS1226, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SCS1226

SCS1226 Thread Starter

I believe there is an HPA on my SSD system drive as it is just slightly smaller than it was a week or so ago. HDAT2 is giving me no option to detect and OSForesics is giving me these error messages

"Could not retrieve Max User LBA
    Could not retrieve Max Native LBA - GET NATIVE MAX Command issue failed
    Could not retrieve Max Disk LBA - DCO Locked"

I get the same dco locked message with both programs when scanning my HDD but they can scan for HPAs just fine. Something else that was slightly peculiar was that when I first encrypted my SSD when the program went to detect and encrypt any found HPAs it crashed but worked fine when i encrypted without scanning for any.

I am tempted to throw out my drives to be on the safe side but I would much rather find a fix for the problem

PSU Seasonic M12II 850W
    Asus Sabertooth X79
    Intel Core i7-4820K
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
    Corsair Hydro H100i
    4x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
    SSD Samsung 840 Evo 500GB MZ-7TE500BW
    HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB STBD3000100

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why not just secure erase the ssd? Samsung has a utility for just this task OR you can use parted magic linux to secure erase one or both of the drives.

Asus mb generally lock the ssd drive making secure erase more difficult. There is s work around for this OR just use the linux live disk [much easier] Once the drive is secure erased, clean install windows, programs, updates, etc. Done and no need to toss any drive.

Here is a link to the last free version of parted magic;
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

3. SCS1226

SCS1226 Thread Starter

If there is a host protected area on the drive then those programs are not going to get rid of them when they erase the drive.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you have any idea what a secure erase is??? A secure erase is not a format, not a deletion of partitions or anything like that. It is done via the ssd's drive controller to flush the drive. There will be nothing on the drive; no partition, no file system, no hidden partition, nothing. It will be exactly like a new drive [excepting for physical wear of the nand]

Last edited: May 27, 2015
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice