1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible mechanical harddrive failure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skyrage, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skyrage

Skyrage Thread Starter

Well then, back again...

I have a Seagate Barracuda 500 gig as a second harddrive in my computer (XP) which is partitioned into two parts. Accessing the first partition is no sweat, but accessing the second partition with explorer, windows commander or whatever you can think of only results in the whole computer freezing up, pretty much forcing me to reboot.

I tried to run a scandisk as well and it runs fine until it reaches Phase 4 where it just refuses to read/go on further. Should perhaps add that it doesn't freeze in the very beginning of phase 4 but a bit in it.

Would this be a sign of a mechanical failure by any chance? And if so I can safely assume that the disk is bust, right?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would assume so - I have had the same a couple of times on PCs and laptops now - and at some stage usually a clicking noise

3. Skyrage

Skyrage Thread Starter

Hmm, alrighty then - that kinda sucks bigtime. Are any recoveries of data possible at all?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you tried running "chkdsk /r" on the drive before looking at recovery programs?

6. Skyrage

Skyrage Thread Starter

Well, I ran it with both boxes checked; "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".

Might also add that it's still frozen solid :(

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

8. Skyrage

Skyrage Thread Starter

Well, that method did fix some errors it seems and upon rebooting I can actually access the partition now. I've got mainly movies and series in it and it seems I can even view them again. However I tried to delete one as well and that didn't work. Windows commander ended up freezing kinda and in the end nothing really happened. Well, I tried to check out the partition with windows explorer but that didn't work for 5 cents and I ended up being forced to reboot.

I could copy the file though so if all goes well I can at least salvage it all - but I find it strange that if it really is a mechanical failure that I am still able to view and copy files but not delete them.

*edit*

Actually, scrap that - seems that some aren't viewable and so on after all. Seems to be all at random :(

9. TBW

TBW

I just lost a Seagate 500 GB too, except mine is dead in the water. Tried 2 different computers and neither one sees it. I got an RMA from Seagate to replace it but all my data is lost. I think I'm through with Seagate. It's only a year old. I have 15 other drives in 5 computers and have yet to lose one. The Seagate is only a year old.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Last year I had 8 in a row new out of boxes fail so I ended my long relationship with Seagate.

11. Skyrage

Skyrage Thread Starter

Hehe, thing is I got a Seagate 320 GB as my primary HD, partitioned into 3 parts and it still goes strong.

But yeah, maybe I should move away from Seagate and go for something else instead. Samsung 750 GB seem to be praised quite a bit so that is probably a decent choice.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think that the problem for Seagate came with the Maxtor merger as we saw Maxtor go "in the toilet" after merging with Quantum.

13. jlabit

jlabit

I have been lucky so far with Seagate, but haven't bought one recently. Got a lot of respect for the opinions of Rich and many other experts in here. Which company do you believe is making the best hard drives currently? Thanks.

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

I've been using Seagate exclusively for the past 2 to 2 1/2 years and have not had a problem with their drives. I use them both internally in machines I build, and also in enclosures I build.

The last failure of a drive I had was about 3 years ago with a Maxtor that failed after 14 months. I stll have two old Maxtor 80GB drives in enclosures that are vintage 2002. I pulled them out of the enclosures last year for the 1st time since they were built, zero filled them, ran the Maxtor diagnostics and they were fine. Still use them on a regular basis.

In the shop with machines that come in for repair with HDD problems, I see about as many failures with Seagate, Maxtor and WD.

15. TBW

TBW

I'm hoping mine was a fluke because I just built my system with on and have more more for storage. I would think hard about buying any more though. Interesting to hear from win2kpro and what they see in the repair shop!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice