1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible memory problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kidofseph, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kidofseph

kidofseph Thread Starter

I have 2 gigs of (I think it's this brand, I didn't build the computer myself) Buffalo RAM. The problems I'm having include:

AIM will randomly have an error, and I'll have to close it. It usually happens when I try to look at someone's info, so it would be opening a new window. I don't know if the other times someone is sending me a new message.

I'll load up Counter-Strike or DoD, and after about a minute, the game will lock up. I'm able to bring up the task manager to end the task, and Steam is usually locked up as well.

When loading the graphics for some flash games, IE will crash.

When trying to watch streaming video on sites like YouTube, the video will stop playing randomly.

Is my RAM bad, or do I have to do something with it, or is it a problem with something else?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probably not RAM, but you can test it:

Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

You should start by doing a complete chkdsk /r on the drive. See if any bad sectors are found.

And then the usual scans for malware with at least 2 different scanners, and a separate antivirus scan are good ideas.

A look at the Event Viewer might help, though it is sometimes singularly uninformative.

3. kidofseph

kidofseph Thread Starter

4. ajefferson

ajefferson

Dunno in particular, but certainly it is not RAM. you won't get even the Windows work if RAM is bad.

From wht ur talking, it seems the problems lays when VGA is pushed to limit. I'm not fully sure, but it's worth a try.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I doubt it's the mb drivers, either, but updating is never a bad idea.

What link are you using for the driver?

6. kidofseph

kidofseph Thread Starter

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

8. kidofseph

kidofseph Thread Starter

This is the icon of the downloaded driver file: http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m58/kidofseph/icon.jpg

When I run the file from the link you gave, it says it's encountered a problem and gives me the "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send" options. If it's worth anything, when I try to run it directly from IE, it won't let me run it because of an unknown publisher. When I doubleclick the executable, it says it's corrupt, or in the second case that there's a problem.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's the right icon.

Do you have problems with any other programs or installations? Is there some other program you could try to install (preferably with the sam InstallShield icon)?

When that error report message comes up, click for more details to see if you can find out what files are problematic.

10. kidofseph

kidofseph Thread Starter

I've had this problem in the past, especially with installing drivers (they also had the InstallShield icon). Also, when trying to install a game a few weeks ago, during an update process it gave me an error saying something along the lines of "Unable to allocate -(really big number here) bytes". Tonight, while updating a different game, it didn't give me a real error message (it just said there were errors during the updating process), and blue screened and restarted.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

12. kidofseph

kidofseph Thread Starter

Reinstalling the Windows Installer didn't seem to help. I think I'll repair/completely reinstall Windows. Thanks though.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice