1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible mobo diagnosis problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wrinklysteve, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrinklysteve

wrinklysteve Thread Starter

Greetings. I would appreciate help with this. I have a 3 y.o . PC with a P5GD1-FM system board (Asus), a P4 3.4GHz CPU and 3GB of RAM. Until recently I have had no problems of any kind but recently had a SATA HD failure which was replaced and the PC ran trouble free for a week or so. It then failed to boot and showed a brief 'can't find HD' kind of message at POST. To get it going again I transferred the SATA drive cables from sockets 1 and 2 on the system board to 3 and 4, since when the PC has been running normally.
    Tjhe question is, is the PC trying to tell me something? Is this the first sign of a developing failure with the system board? Do I need to start saving my pennies for a big replacement? I am out of my depth and would appreciate informed suggestions. Thanks.

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

It could of just been an issue with the seating of the SATA cable or even a bad SATA cable (possibly try replacing it, insert it in to the other slots and see the out-come). You may even have SATA #1 + #2 disabled in BIOS or something to that effect, check your BIOS to see if this is or was the case.

If everything works now, then there is no problem. Computers often play-up and can be fixed by doing the most simple of things and some issues will remain a mystery for many users and technicians.

3. wrinklysteve

wrinklysteve Thread Starter

Thanks for your comment. I suppose I shall just have to wait and see - I am just suspicious that the two things directly one after the other might be connected.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice