Possible Motherboard Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

milesb

My computer shutdown just as a file had finished downloading. The file was large around 1.17gb and it was a torrent file that automatically begins hashing after download. However as soon as it had finished my computer shutdown unexpectedly.

When I try to start my computer up no information comes onto my monitior I can only hear the fans blowing very hard inside my computer. This leads me to think this could be a hard drive problem, which I frequently have whenever they get too full and I've had them in the past. However in the past when my computer gets stuck in a reboot cycle I would boot from an older hardrive with windows 98 and defragment my hard drives from there.

So at this point the only thing I can do is press the power button hear the fans roar and see no signal/information being presented on my monitor and then I press and hold the power button to shut the computer back off.

I hear silence on start up.

How old is the computer and you say that your monitor remains blank when turned on; do you hear any beeps coming from the monitor (POST)?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Have you tried leaving it off for a while? It may have overheated.

A full hard drive, and generally any hard drive problem, does not cause the computer to fail to Post. If you see nothing on the screen then its likely something else.

milesb

It was a video card problem.

First I swapped my video card with a friends video card mine worked in his computer?? His worked in mine???

So I took my video card back and put it back in machine, still didn't work i.e. no picture on screen still. Noticed the fan on the video card wasn't spinning at a consistent rate it would sort of cycle between spinning and slowing down as if being pumped to spin. So I took my card back out sprayed thouroughly with compressed air and then it worked.

I think maybe my power supply isn't properly powering the card/fan or maybe the fan just needed some compressed air everything is back up and running but I will be doing as many things as possible to get my computer to run at its full 2.8ghz potential thank you for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online