1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible Motherboard Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tech4707, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tech4707

tech4707 Thread Starter

Before I say anything, here are my specs:

Windows XP Professional SP3
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
    2.22 GHz,
    2.00 GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon X800XL
    ASUS A81-SLI Motherboard

My computer is 5 years old. I have a double monitor set up. Lately, I have been getting this problem where my main monitor will not show anything, but my secondary does. On start up, where its going through all the bootup screens, it will flash for half a second then go black. I have noticed that this kind of black is pitch black, as if the monitor was not hooked up at all. It's not your somewhat lighted black. Where you can see the monitor is lit up but not showing anything. I've read around some other places that it could be my motherboard. All I want to know right now is if it is the motherboard. If it is, will I need to replace it. The only way to get around it is to reboot repeatedly until we get it. This usually takes up to 8-9 times.

One more question, since my motherboard is a 9-3-9, there are no processors other than the one I have now compatible with it. So if I replace my motherboard, get a new processor, and power supply possibly, will I need to upgrade my video card? I'm not sure if a new processor will work with an old video card.

Thanks in advance.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It could be the motherboard, graphics card or drivers; but I am guessing it is not the motherboard. I assume you have somehow verified the monitor is not faulty.

I would try reinstalling the graphics card drivers and double check the dual monitor setup.

Assuming you decide the problem is the motherboard, your older graphics card should work with a current motherboard as long as it is PCIe.

The PC I am typing from has a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard and old Geforce 8600 GT graphics card.

3. tech4707

tech4707 Thread Starter

Alright, it seems that AMD (Owns ATI now) has moved the X800 to the legacy section. Meaning I cannot reinstall it, and it is no longer able to update. So I can't do anything there, I checked my double monitor settings, everything was perfectly fine.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

5. tech4707

tech4707 Thread Starter

Do I need the Catalyst Software Suite, or just the WDM drivers?

6. tech4707

tech4707 Thread Starter

I am quite certain now that it is not the graphics card. Note that this happens during boot up. Like I said, it will show bootup screens for 1 second, then go pitch black. I have to reboot about 8 times for it to actually work. From other sources I have heard its a motherboard problem. I don't see how a graphics card would affect boot up other than changing resolution.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice