1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible overheating problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jonny330, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonny330

Jonny330 Thread Starter

I recently got a pny nvidia gts 250 with 1 gig ram, i've got it in an sli config with a galaxy gts 250 with the pny gpu as number 2. The card generally runs at 60 degrees while on the desktop, manually putting the fan to 100% with an extra fan at the side blowing air through the heatsink and to the gpu fan gets the temperature down to about 50. The galaxy graphics card generally runs at about 38 degrees while on the desktop.

This isn't too bad in itself but whenever I try running a game (skyrim for example) it generally overheats and kills my computer within half an hour (last time I tried it it took about ten minutes). Have I bought a faulty card, or is this what pny graphics cards are like? Also, how effective are those seperate gpu coolers you can buy on amazon for example, would it be worthwhile looking into getting one of those?

Oh also, I've noticed that the temperature varies rapidly when I'm playing a game. While I'm running skyrim it'll run really hot (generally in the nineties within five minutes) but as soon as I minimise the game it'll shoot down to the mid to low eighties within a second. After that it'll slowly reduce down to it's apparent normal running temperature of 50 to 60 degrees.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    No offense, but do you really think all PNY cards overheat and fail?

Sounds like you have a faulty card or a case with really poor airflow (and/or too much heat build up from other hardware). As it's new, contact PNY. They will want to troubleshoot and will RMA if it's faulty.

With that said, for testing purposes, use a single card.

3. Jonny330

Jonny330 Thread Starter

turns out I was mistaken, it was the older galaxy card that was overheating, not the new PNY card. I've cleaned all the fins on the heatsink out and am going to see how it goes. And yes, I couldn't rule out the possibility that the PNY card was produced with insufficient cooling, remember that all of the components will be manufactured by the cheapest bidder.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice