1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible problem.. computer running REALLY slowly

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by the_moose, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_moose

the_moose Thread Starter

Hi again... I haven't been here for a while, but I hope you're all just as keen as ever to help me out of a hole!

My computer has recently started running really slowly - not just one particular program, but even navigating around using windows. I don't think I've installed anything that would cause this to happen (iTunes is the only thing I've downloaded for ages) and I presume I've got some gremlin or other causing me grief but none of my anti-spyware programs can find it. The only thing that's been found recently was a CWS spyware program that Spyware Doctor found just after I'd installed the latest version of it. Other than that, all my results are a blank. Is there anything any of you can suggest to try and track it down please?

I suppose the other option is that I have got too many things running at once in my system tray, but to be honest I'm not sure which of these I need running from startup in the background so I have tended to leave well alone there.

Any advice gratefully appreciated as always.

Cheers, Moose. (y)

My computer spec, should it matter...
    Dell dimension 8300 with a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading technology (no idea, just copying it!)
    3.0GHz 800fsb and 1MB cache
    8x/4x DVD+R/+RW and 16x DVD
    120GB 1st SATA hard drive (7200rpm) with 8MB Databurst cache
    512MB DDR 400 Dual channel memory (2x256)
    Creative Labs 5.1 Audigy2 Audio card
    128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200
    Windows XP Pro SP2

... and in an effort to keep all the horrible things away, I've got: AVG 7.5, Norton Personal Firewall, AdAware SE+, Spybot S+D, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, Spyware Doctor, Reg Mech, Windows Defender and CCleaner - all of which I keep updated regularly (although after a bad experience with Reg Mech I've still got it - but daren't use it!)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice