1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible problem with hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geezer77, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

System: Dell Dimension L466x. Windows 98SE Norton Internet security 2004.
    Problem: Doing monthly cleanup with Norton. One button checkup Hard disk integrity scan. One error found in drive C the hard disk drive. Should be fixed by Disk Doctor. But that program hung up on the sub-portion Directory Structure, repeating over and over again. Could not finished the job.
    So tried in Windows system tools the scandisk program. That one also hung up at one point, repeated over and over again.
    My system works well. I am unaware of any functional problems. So I did defragmenting with the Windows system tools, and this was successfully completed without a problem.
    Now I am bewildered. Have I a problem or not? Were it not for doing the monthly "housekeeping" I'd not be aware of anything out of line.
    Thank you for your expertise and courtesy.
    Geezer 77, now closer to 79 than 78.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Geezer 79 :D

Can you run scandisk via dos mode?

3. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. No, I have not run scandisk in dos mode. I am aware that such exists, but have no idea what it is or how to utilize it. Can you give me a reference to some sort of tutorial so that I may learn?
    Thank you very much.
    Geezer77

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Start, shutdown, restart in dos mode.

Then type

scandisk
    and press enter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice