1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible RAM Error, among other things.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bloodbane, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bloodbane

Bloodbane Thread Starter

Specs:

Windows XP Home Edition SP2
    Pentium Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz
    2 GB of RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8600GT 512MB
    160 GB SATA Hard Drive

I got this computer on Monday after ordering it from Tiger Direct. In the four days I've had it, it has been one BSOD after another. One suggested I update the BIOS, so I did. Another suggested a graphics driver problem with my nVidia card, so I updated it. This latest error suggested I download the Windows Diagnostic Tool, due to a possible RAM error. I don't know what to do, and the errors are beginning to irritate me since this is a much better PC than the last one I had, and the only problem the old PC had was it had a Pentium D processor that died within three months. I am putting in a zip folder of the four minidumps I have, but I believe only the most recent one will suggest a possible RAM error.

Thanks in advance, and I hope it's not the RAM >_<

Attached Files:

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I can't read your dumps but have you added any drivers to the system since it came? Any burning programs?
    Most blue screens are caused by bad or incompatible ram so I would run memtest86. www.memtest.org
    You need to run at least 4 full tests and each one requires 8 passes so plan about 3-4 hours to complete.

3. nessyguin

nessyguin

+1 . I'd make RAM the most likely suspect here ....

4. Bloodbane

Bloodbane Thread Starter

Well I won't be doing that any time soon. I got a new fan (since another problem was the fact that it was getting to temps above 60 C) and after installing it, which required taking apart the PC (had a pushpin fan, new one was screws) I have a worse problem. No video, no beeps, though when I removed the RAM I got one constant beep. Switching video cards did nothing. I think I just broke my PC =_=

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Just carefully re-seat everything you removed and nearby, you probably just jostled or knocked loose a plug somewhere when you did that.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!