1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible ram slot issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by illizit, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. illizit

illizit Thread Starter

hello tech support guy forums!

i have recently found i have some kind of issue with my ram slots or something.
    i have had two 1gb sticks in my computer for about a year now and everything has been fine up until about two weeks ago when i tried to install a sim called flightgear. the first time i try to run it my computer crashes and gives me a blue screen and things havent been the same since.

afterwards my programs would crash and i would get bluescreens running most simple software. i then checked for faulty hardware. i started to check ram by removing the two sticks in it currently and replacing them with a single stick i had before i bought the new 2.

the old one i had thought was faulty before since it was part of the reason of my upgrade in first place so didnt go to well. so i decided to put only 1 of the newer sticks in and was going test it alone but realized all the problems were gone. i then wanted to check the other 1gb module of the newer pair and that one worked also with no problems while alone, but whenever i have 2 sticks in at the same time i experience the same problems i had after i tried installing flightgear.

i had never messed with ram for almost a year other then occasional dusting but i never removed or touched the sticks. was just curious how or why i would have issues with ram after installing that program and if my second slot could be messed up somehow without ever messing with it?

i will try cleaning out the actual ram slot once i get another can of air and see if that makes any difference.

2. lilb

lilb

Hmm.......thats a tricky one.......perhaps its running the ram sticks at a wrong frequency/voltage go into the bios..so what ram do you have? manufacturer and stats ie kingston ddr2 667mhz??? ect... Also what motherboard do you have?

3. illizit

illizit Thread Starter

the memory is Crucial and their site says
    DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

bios says the board is Intel D102GGC2, its an eMachine W6409.

not sure how to read the voltage but looks like...
    v12.0 11.844v
    v5.0 5.148v
    v3.3 3.315v
    vccp 1.368v

another thing, hopefully unrelated, is the original monitor that came with the w6409 started to go out (buzzing, wouldnt stay on) a couple days after first had this problem. i got an old crt hooked up right now though with no problems.

4. illizit

illizit Thread Starter

anyone think they're could be an "easy" solution for it?
    bios and windows detects both memory modules when they are inserted together.

i have installed linux too and dont seem to have any crashes or anything while using it, but im not too familiar with linux and maybe errors there not as noticable as bluescreens :confused: but no programs have crashed or failed to start while using ubuntu.

5. illizit

illizit Thread Starter

bump..
    any ideas what could cause a second ram slot to go "bad"?

6. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

Chips can go bad and that applies to memory controllers as well. However, before assuming the slot is bad I would try running memtest86 (by far the best I have used, Google it) with both DIMMs installed. If it does not flag a problem your problems are not likely to be the RAM. If it DOES flag a problem, run each stick separately, first in one slot them the other, to see where the problem is.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice