1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible Retroactive Water Damage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by artisticHoodie, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. artisticHoodie

artisticHoodie Thread Starter

Hi! So, a few months ago my computer got some water damage and wouldn't turn on. I put it off to the side for a while, and yesterday I tried to turn it on again- And it worked! However today it's stubbornly refusing to start up again. Any thoughts? I know the battery has at least a bit of a charge, the lights on the side are blinking. The battery got pretty low before I turned it off last night, could it running out of battery overnight have messed up whatever was allowing it to work? I have recharged it by the way. Unfortunately because I can't start it up, I also can't get the specifications in terms of model and stuff, so I'm just putting down what I know already.
    It's an HP Envy x360 running Windows 10.

EDIT: To be clear, the laptop not only turned on yesterday, but was in full working order. No glitching, unresponsive keys, nothing. It was perfectly fine like the damage had never happened, but today its gone back to unresponsive. I haven't done anything that would damage the computer, and at this point I don't know what I'm doing. Was it working yesterday some one-day miracle? Sorry, I'm just really anxious about this, I can't afford a new laptop and if the parts are expensive to replace I won't be able to fix it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    If it got wet then there may be some corrosion in the motherboard which may be causing this problem or some other hardware issues may have been damaged.

3. artisticHoodie

Would it still have been able to turn on yesterday with the corrosion/damaged hardware?

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    probably yes but it depends on how much water it got into your computer.

5. artisticHoodie

How would it no longer work now though? Nothing has changed, as far as I know. I'm not trying to be annoying or picky, I just want to understand what is going on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice