Possible rootkit/malware activity,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Italus

Hello there. I was recently given this computer by a previous owner. I am worried that there may be some malware or some sort of issue with this computer. Recently the antivirus detected a worm but i'm not sure it actually did anything about it, and despite some scans showing up clean there was a program referred to me by a friend[gmer] that seems to be picking up what I think it perceives as oddties although I do not know if that is actually the case.

Another issue that just started yesterday that has come up is that my mouse is acting up. It sometimes goes into this mode where it spazes out and clicks all over the screen which open and closes programs. This is happening with my touchpad and any other mouse I use so far. I have only used wired mouses so far.

Basically I am mostly just suspicious, that there could be something wrong/on this computer so just to be safe I would like this computer to get the all clear from you guys after a very thorough inspection so I know that its clean.

Thanks again

Edit- Here is some system information from TSG sysinfo that the site requested I run and post with my main topic post

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3573 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 101608 MB, Free - 57518 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 5245 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., , , .8WVL0G1. .
Antivirus: PC-cillin Internet Security - Virus Protection, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
I was recently given this computer by a previous owner.
Was it given to you to keep, or was it given to you to work on and return?

If it's the former, my advice to you is to format the hard drive and do a clean reinstall of Vista and get a fresh start.

---------------------------------------------------------

Italus

Thanks for the response, very appeciated.

Yes, this was given to me to keep. The reformat sounds like a good idea, I think i'll go with that

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
You'll be much happier with formatting the hard drive and doing a clean reinstall and getting a fresh start.

It's virtually impossible and very time-consuming to get rid of all the "debris" and problems from the previous owner.

I've inherited and resurrected several computers, so I speak from experience.

---------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3573 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 101608 MB, Free - 57518 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 5245 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., , , .8WVL0G1. .
Antivirus: PC-cillin Internet Security - Virus Protection, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
According to that service tag number, the laptop that you inherited is this Dell Inspiron 1525.

You might want to add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

It looks like it's already maxed out with 4 GB of RAM.

------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online