1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible secutity issue

Discussion in 'General Security' started by tonb, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonb

tonb Thread Starter

Hi guys - had a phone call from someone in india I have been having some problems with internet connection being slow anyway I thought it was to do with that problem now not so sure They got me to connect to a web site and I clicked on a button but I felt as though they were taking control of my computer do you have any information on them?

2. valis

valis Moderator

I don't, no. But I never let anyone take over control of my pc.

What issues are you having? What is the OS as well?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If they told you that they can fix the problem for you, then they would have to have remote control of your pc.

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    What was the website they had you go to? I guess it is possible that whatever you clicked on that website could have downloaded something to your computer.

5. ChumCaster

ChumCaster Banned

It's sad to see experienced members floundering here, but neither MS nor your ISP are ever going to initiate calls about any possible Internet connection problems you might have, or potential malware issues on your computer. It's a common type of fraud, and you should be concerned about malware, if you've either allowed a remote operator to take control of your computer, or followed a link you were instructed to use. I'd suggest running some malware scans with the tools of your choice. Both of these links describe the issue very well.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/06/16/study-reveals-scale-of-fake-tech-support-call-scams/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice