1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible Solution to ME freezes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bilnrobn, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    For the benefit of all those ME users who experience lockups of the system requiring turning off the power to your computer and rebooting, please read this. I was experiencing this problem regularly and over a period I noticed it happened both when and after I had Outlook Express running, and sometimes when I rebooted following a lock up. This never happened if I was booting up following a normal shutdown. I further narrowed the problem to when there was unread mail in one of the boxes, (eg, mail that was shown in bold lettering). As an experiment I tried going to Edit and clicking 'Mark all read' whenever I received mail. THE PROBLEM STOPPED HAPPENING! This was several months ago. Today my wife was writing an email when I was about to go out. I told her to mark any incoming mail read when she sent off her mail. When I got back we had a cup of coffee and she returned to the computer to find it locked up. We turned off at the CPU and rebooted. The computer locked up again as it was booting. The next attempt it booted successfully and I went immediately to OE. I FOUND THREE UNREAD EMAILS IN THE INBOX! I am now quite convinced that in my case that is what causes the lock up problem, in my computer at least. Anyone experiencing this annoying problem try the above. It may work for you too!

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi bilnrobn

Check this setting in Outlook Express:
    Tools > Options > Maintenance tab,
    if there, remove the checkmark for Compact messages in the background
    this is a default setting that can cause corruption in your .dbx files.

If you have more than one Identity, check each Identity to ensure this process has been disabled.

Keep your Inbox empty, move messages you want to keep to another folder of your own creation within Outlook Express.
    The following folders are dynamic and are subject to recreation (message loss) if Outlook Express encounters an error:
    Inbox
    Outbox
    Sent Items
    Deleted Items
    Drafts

Outlook Express is probably due for some maintenance.
    Close all programs.
    Open Outlook Express
    File > Work Offline
    Click on the Local Folders folder
    File > Folder > Compact All Folders
    Walk away from the computer until this process is complete.
    Never start this process if the possibility of a power outage is imminent such as a thunderstorm in progress.

Should the compaction process ever be interrupted, restart it before accessing any folders and allow it to finish.

Let us know if you notice a difference.

3. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks EAF! My 'compact messages in the background' was checked.
    I will now do the 'Compact all folders'. Thanks for the info.

4. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    How often should the folders be compacted? I assume I should do that periodically? (No one has ever mentioned it to me before.)

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Once a month will do, unless you delete masses of emails frequently.

Or if Outlook Express starts loading slowly.

6. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks EAF I really appreciate your help. I have completed all your suggestions. Fingers crossed!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice