1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible stolen files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chrisn, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisn

chrisn Thread Starter

i work for a very small company and have become the defacto system admin. unfortunately, my boss wants me to find out if an employee who just left stole files and possibly downloaded them to a flash drive. is there any way i can do that? the PC has XP.

thanks.

2. jmwills

jmwills

The person has left the company, how can you track this? How long ago are we talking about?

3. A+Computer

A+Computer

There's no way to detect this unless, it was being monitored to begin with.

4. jmwills

jmwills

I beg to differ. The event logs would show the USB connection, that's why I asked how long ago this occured. However, this would only show the connection not anything else.

5. A+Computer

A+Computer

Then why check it? So begging to differ when it's not showing anything, is a pointless action. If I see my tire flat, I don't need to go touch it to confirm it's flat. So why check event viewer to see it's not gonna tell me anything that's useful. :D

Again, there's no way to tell unless it was being monitored prior to this happening.

6. jmwills

jmwills

However, this would only show the connection not anything else.

Can you read? I said this would only say that a USB connection was made..not saying it proved the files were taken. Geez!

7. A+Computer

A+Computer

I've since edited my post lol can you? ;)

8. chrisn

chrisn Thread Starter

thanks for the info. no, it was not being monitored previously. i'm thinking we need to check in the last month or so. how can i tell if there was a USB connection?

9. A+Computer

A+Computer

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice