1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible Sudden Hard Drive Issue / Startup Repair Loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by astronomygeek, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. astronomygeek

astronomygeek Thread Starter

So I have had this new hard drive since October of this year after my last one of five years went kapoot and my computer slowed to a crawl. Came home after a week of vacation and when I booted up my computer, it worked fine. Restarted it again just for something and now it’s acting weird. It will make the beep after my motherboard logo (Gigabyte) and start up windows before saying “loading your files” and then bringing up the startup repair screen. I don’t know what to do and I think it’s going to do a repair loop. I’d hate to have to get another hard drive but damn. Just my luck.

2. astronomygeek

https://imgur.com/a/5TsLVkEThe startup repair went through and it said the registry was corrupted and registry rollback performed. As for now, Widows installed two new updates just as I write this post so another restore point was preformed? But now I am deathly afraid that if I restart or shut down my computer it will happen again. Could it be that when I was on vacation (since last Saturday), it was asleep and two days before today, I asked someone to shut it down from the login to account menu. You know, the red shut down button on the right bottom thing. Could that have messed something up?

Attached in link are my repair results and mu desktop to prove it looks okay for now.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You will have to restart it sometime so I would bite the bullet and go for it now.

4. astronomygeek

Update: Restarted it 20 min ago.. It booted up like normal and no issues as of now. Games and applications working normally. Does this mean I am okay?

5. astronomygeek

I ask this because I have no idea what could have caused this since I was away for a week.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think it will be ok now. Something like Windows (or a program) trying to update could have woken it up.

7. astronomygeek

Strange, I thought that updates only run when you log into your desktop but oh well. It is working again right now so I can’t report any other problems. I hope it stays fixed.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well I have a laptop that woke up by itself several times, turned out to be a program trying to access the Internet (by running a service) was the culprit. I must admit I have no real idea what happened to your computer, I was just guessing it was some sort of update attempt. Hopefully it won't matter and it's working properly now.

9. astronomygeek

exactly. Restarted before I went to bed for a quick update check and it still boots up fine now. Whatever corrupted was reversed with the restore point.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm glad it's fixed.

11. astronomygeek

Me too. So far no problems today so its fixed for now. Just a one time thibg apparently fixed with a roll back.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice