1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible to block bad ram?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jusasweet69, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jusasweet69

jusasweet69 Thread Starter

ok i just bought my laptop from a friend and he gave me a good deal so i took it. well my memory is shot. i have 2 512 stix in it one of my sticks is good the other bad. i have ordered a new 1 GB module but i still have a week 2 wait 4 it. i took out the bad one but my laptop is now slow as h***. the other stick only has about 10% of it bad and i was wanting to know can u block windows from using the bad ram sectors in any way thanx

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

no.

i find 512 adequate for the stuff i do but i don't do a lot with editing video/music/pics.

3. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Well he's running Vista, and Vista Ultimate at that so imo 512mb is totally inadequete but as for blocking your ram that's not an option either i'm afraid.

4. jusasweet69

ok i was wondering cuz i needed sumthing 2 tie me over till my new ram comes in im running vista ultimate and that with me running photoshop or flash is like death i guess ill wait thanx for your help

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i'm not aware of any ms os where you can block ram.

nice crystal ball you have there.

6. jusasweet69

i cant complain though it still works i just have to wait but can i put a 1gig with my 512 into my laptop??

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can limit the maximum amount of memory using MSCONFIG in most versions of Windows. But not set it to not use specific memory addresses as far as I know.

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

how do you do it please? or are you referring to virtual memory?

9. jusasweet69

ok the msconfig prolly wont help me to much the errors are in the begining of the ram i couldnt boot untill i took it out

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In Vista go to MSCONFIG, then the Boot heading and click on the Advanced button and there's an option to limit the max amount of memory, its similar in other versions of Windows too.

11. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Depends if the laptop will take gb modules. My guess is it will but there's also the possiblity of the ram not being compatable together. (even if it's the same speed and make actually) but still good chance.

12. jusasweet69

k thanx guys for your help ill just wait till the ram comes in the mail and test it

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

"other versions", which ones?
    xp doesn't have "boot heading", this sounds like virtual memory that's being changed, not the ram.

14. jusasweet69

this is what i found in vista

Attached Files:

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

Windows 98, ME, Windows XP, and I assume Windows 95 and Windows 2000 also have such a setting.

In XP its boot.ini and then under Advanced it has a 'maxmem' setting. I've included some screenshots.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/557102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice