1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible to have keyboard backlight not turn on at startup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wicked.ludicrous, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wicked.ludicrous

wicked.ludicrous Thread Starter

My Dell laptop's keyboard backlight turns on at startup if I unplugged it from the wall and the battery isn't in to kinda 'save the settings.' It's weird, but yeah, is there a way to have it so my laptop's keyboard backlight won't turn on at startup?

Thanks

2. TekTime

TekTime

What is the model # and manufacturer of your laptop?

3. highspeed

highspeed

Which keyboard are you talking about?

Is it the onboard keyboard of the dell laptop or a usb keyboard?

4. wicked.ludicrous

I have a Dell 1555 laptop with Win7. And its the onboard keyboard

5. TekTime

TekTime

The Dell Studio 1555 has the option for a back-lit keyboard...and since you have that model it can be turned off. There should be a symbol to adjust the keyboard's brightness settings on the F6 key. To change the settings you will need to press the Fn key and F6 key at the same time.

Hopefully that helps.

6. wicked.ludicrous

Well, I know that function. But what I'm after is the option to have the keyboard not turn on at all when the computer starts up. It's just a hassle having to turn off the light when I turn on my computer most of the time

7. TekTime

TekTime

If it's possible to permanently disable the backlight, that would most likely be done in the BIOS, as the BIOS stores hardware settings that are virtually independent of the Windows operating system.
    You wouldn't be able to make a permanent change in Windows, because while your computer is booting
    the light will still illuminate.

Are you familiar with your BIOS setup menu; accessing it and navigating the settings?

8. highspeed

highspeed

I think TekTime might be right. Check from the BIOS. just go into the BIOS and see if you could see anything like that..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/906892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice