1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible to install XP from bootable partition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mhouser, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mhouser

Mhouser Thread Starter

I have a issue with my Sony Vaio laptop. Currently loaded with PCLINUXOS I want to restore XP that was once on it.

The CD drive is not detected think its completely dead from how old the laptop is. Bios does not detect any type of USB as a bootable option.

I tried swapping the drive with a Dell laptop hardrive but that stop in the middle of XP loading screen since the motherboards are different it cant boot all the way into Windows.

How anyone come across any articles that describe how to store a Windows Install on a 2nd partition, seeing how that would be the only option since the CD drive is not available anymore (did a search on Google shopping)

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

3. DVOM

DVOM

re: Bootable USB option, on my Gateway laptop I don't get the USB boot option unless I've booted to BIOS with a thumbdrive/USB harddrive already connected.

4. Mhouser

Mhouser Thread Starter

I tried 3 different external usb CD drives none of them were detected.

Here is what I'm planning on doing:

1. Move hard drive to good laptop
    2. Boot from FreeDos CD
    3. Install FreeDos
    4. Copy Windows CD to Root directory
    5. Move hard drive back to original laptop
    6. Run winnt.exe

5. Mhouser

Mhouser Thread Starter

That didnt work, after running WINNT.exe system reboots gets error "Disk Error: Press any key to reboot" is there any switch commands to run with WINNT?

Or maybe Free Dos isnt compatible for WindowsXP install. What other Dos emulating OSes are there?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. Is the hard drive bad?

7. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Almost there I think, try this

4. Copy the i386 folder from the CD to the HDD
    5. Move hard drive back to original laptop
    6. locate winnt32.exe in i386 folder, run it

8. Mhouser

Mhouser Thread Starter

winnt32.exe is not a DOS program. Think that is only for when upgrading from WIN 95-2000.

I did notice some files were 0 bytes size. recopied cd drive see if winnt.exe works this time.

*keeps fingers crossed*

9. Mhouser

Mhouser Thread Starter

Keep getting Disk Error: Press any key to reboot after winnt.exe copies files to the harddrive then reboots.

Using xfdisk to format the drive as fat32 before loading freedos on the harddrive.
    Then copy i386 folder from XP cd to the harddrive.

Going to try this again with i386 from win2000 disk. If this doesn't work guess stuck with dos/linux options for this laptop.

Want to thank everyone who helped me out on this forum.

10. bbearren

bbearren

You can install from a partition that is NOT the root partition/drive. You want your C:\ drive to be clean. Copy the entire contents of the XP CD to a different partition, then run setup.exe from that partition. Select your root drive as the target for the installation.

11. Mhouser

Mhouser Thread Starter

Setup.exe says "This program cannot run in DOS mode."

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If booting to DOS, you must use winnt.exe, not setup.exe

Have you tried using the winnt32 switches /tempdrive:X /syspart:X as suggested in the thread I linked above in post 2? Those switches were designed just for situations like this.

Jerry

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice