1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible virus created HPA on system ssd

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by SCS1226, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCS1226

SCS1226 Thread Starter

I have had some issues with my pc which I really cannot explain or find any help for, I have been experiencing a sluggish computer which at times will randomly freeze with the mouse being the only thing movable. It seems there is an HPA on my ssd as it is ever so slightly smaller than it normally is. I have scanned with my regular virus removal which consists of Avast and Malware Bytes and neither found anything on either my system drive of the hard drive I keep my games on.

I attempted to detect whether or not there was an HPA on each drive and there is not one on my hard drive though the dco is frozen , I have no option to detect on the ssd with HDAT2 even though it scans the hard drive fine and when I try to detect with OSForensics I get the following error message.

"Could not retrieve Max User LBA
    Could not retrieve Max Native LBA - GET NATIVE MAX Command issue failed
    Could not retrieve Max Disk LBA - DCO Locked"

My computer also crashed while I was attempting to scan for HPAs when I first encrypted my ssd which is particularly suspect and I really am at a loss and am ready to throw both drives out to be safe but if there are any other options I would love to hear them before I drop another 300$

I am Running Windows 7 and I am using an Asus Sabertooth MOBO

2. SCS1226

SCS1226 Thread Starter

Bump, really need help with this

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice