1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible Virus in Outlook

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by astrodaddy, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. astrodaddy

astrodaddy Thread Starter

I received an e-mail that simply reads "your file is attached" and im wondering how to scan it to see if it actually is a virus? I have NOT opened the attatchment.I have MailWasher but I cant figure out how to have it scan the contents of whats already in Outlook.Any ideas or should I just delete it and move on with my life? :eek:

2. deh

deh

Hi,
    From what I gather mail washer allows you to view on server before downloading correct?
    Alot of Antiviruses plug into Outlook and scan as soon as downloaded into inbox or as soon as you attempt to open.

Is mail washer an official antivirus though?

The technical answer:
    If you have a known updated antivirus and you really want to see you can right click on the attachment and do a Save as, browse to a folder and save it, and then scan the folder you saved the attachment in with the antivirus.

Personally though this is an unknown attachment from an unknown source, I WOULDN'T OPEN IT. So your thoughts to delete and move on is best.

Incidentally if you are looking for a good free antivirus to scan you local drives with check out:

www.grisoft.com

3. astrodaddy

astrodaddy Thread Starter

Hey Thanks for the input Deh,and youre probably right, Ithink ill just delete it and move on.As for Mailwasher youre right, I view them on server with options to bounce them back as undeliverable (for spammers) or blacklist,delete and so forth.Thanks for your input!

4. deh

deh

N/p
    Incidentally the description (subject: your file is attached) screams of a virus going around, I believe Netsky.

All in all though if you don't know the source don't open and be leary even when you do know the source thus scan it with a known good A/v.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!