1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible virus please help

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by wen, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wen

wen Thread Starter

my friend kay has told me that their home pc has been hit. the screen has gone black with coloured worms all over it. they have sound but nothing else.
    her husband had been downloading games from a US site earlier.

sorry thing are sketchy but she has only told me bits at work today.

has anybody got any ideas?

could someone point me to an older thread for answers?

can i download something to disk to help them out?

they have both nortn av and zone alarm but still got infected.

thanks
    wen

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the screen is black and they can't do anything, the best bet would either be to boot up in safe mode and, if possible, uninstall any recently installed applications. Or if that is not possible or does not work, they can try restoring a previous registry.

To do either they must first access the "startup menu"

For Win98 or WinME to start in safe mode, press and hold the ctrl key as soon as the computer begins to boot. Choose safe mode from the start menu.

To restore a previous registry, choose the "command prompt" option from the startup menu. At the c:\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a started registry before the problem begin. One dated the day of the installs will probably be suficient.

In WinME a system restore can be done from safe mode.

An online virus scan can be done from this site once internet connectivity has been reestablished:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

3. wen

wen Thread Starter

will print out your instructions and pass them on.

wen

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice