Possible virus with Ooutlook Express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Grenge

I recieved an e-mail yesterday and when I had a look at it all my e-mails in my inbox had been deleted. :mad:
Could this be an e-mail virus i recieved? The e-mail was from McAfee but I didn't read it, as soon as I saw it I deleted it. The funny thing is that all the e-mails in my Inbox were deleted but I have other folders in my infox with other mail that is still there.
I use eTrust EZ Antivurus and I downloaded the latest update yesterday before this happened and it didn't detect anything when I did a full scan.

Also since most of these e-mail viruses seem to affect OE I have been thinking of getting a different e-mail program. Anyone know of any good e-mail programs that are easy to use? I have tried Eudora but that would be a bit complicated for my wife. We need something simple like OE.

Thanks
Grenge

Styxx

Banned
Don't open attachments

One of the best ways to prevent virus infections is not to open attachments (click on paperclip icons (the lower larger one) or double-click the subject lines and choose 'Open'), especially when dangerous viruses are being actively circulated. Even if the e-mail is from a known source, be careful. A few viruses take the mailing lists from an infected computer and send out new messages with its destructive payload attached. Always scan the attached files first for viruses. Unless it's a file or an image you are expecting, delete it, twice.

The Right-Click Scan Method

Always click the lower paperclip icon of any e-mail with a small or large paperclip icon indicating an attachment is present; choose 'save to disk'; Navigate to where the attachment was saved; Right-click the attachment and choose 'Scan with (your anti-virus). If the attachment is infected right-click it and choose Delete. Delete the asssociated e-mail from the Inbox and then the Deleted Items folder.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online