1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible virus!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by killajj187, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. killajj187

killajj187 Thread Starter

How unfortunate I am..(goddamn)

My computer is broken as of last night

I was just surfing the internet and suddenly the computer shuts off. I turned it back on and my computer runs at the beginning but after a couple seconds it becomes 4x louder than normal and shows nothing on the monitor but a black screen. Nothing loads up at all...the keyboard is not responsive and it seems my monitor can't detect the hard drive. I am not sure if this is a virus problem but it seems like something got removed from loading process or something!!! please help me...(im using a different computer right now to post this)

2. killajj187

this must be an uncommon problem... :(

3. natcom

natcom

this dont sound to me like a virus but more like a hardware related problems when the computer boot do you hear a beep ?

4. killajj187

nope no beep nothing

5. natcom

natcom

ok problem here can be the RAM is dead or power supply. how many ram sticks do you have on this computer? if you have 2 or 3 take one out at the time and reboot also if you have a Compressed Air bottle around the house clean the inside or your computer specially the ram and the cpu fan now sorry to tell you but hardware problems are not that easy to fix if you don’t have the right testing tools cause can be really anything from the motherboard to the cpu but for what you telling us sound like the ram or power supply

6. killajj187

Alright thanks for the help! I'll see what I can do...

7. killajj187

sorry i have absolutley no knowledge with computers!!! what is a ram stick(lol)

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Without seeing the PC, its sounds like the power supply may have gone bad. On the back of the PC you'll see vents with a fan behind them. When you power on the PC, do you see the fan running? If so, can you tell if the fan's making the noise you described?

BTW, I moved you post to the Hardware forum ...

9. bobol

bobol

Do you have a computer savvy friend that can assist you with the suggested probing/fixes mentioned here [to avoid maybe unfortunate mishaps happening]?

10. killajj187

Thanks alot for the responses!!!!!!

Yes the sound seems to be coming from the fans and the fans are louder than usual... :confused:

Oh I have a couple of friends who have hardware knowledge...its a good idea if I had them help me with this problem isnt it. ... ;)

11. killajj187

so what power supply brand/watts do you recommend for my vaio?

12. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Without checking I'd guess it's about a 400 watt and any make power supply should be fine. Just have whoever replaces it be sure to replace it with the same power watt supply that's in it.

13. curveman

curveman

Whoa ! That's the first time I've heard someone say to "...be sure to replace it with the same power watt supply that's in it."

I'v upgraded power supplies before with higher wattage, should I be experiencing some kind of problems ?

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    No not really but there's no reason to get a higher wattage one if you don't need it and I don't see anything to indicate that they need it. My point was made so they don't replace it with a lower wattage PS. I try to air on the safe side when I recommend things here but if for some reason they have trouble finding the same wattage, a higher wattage will work too.

15. killajj187

It was the power supply and worked perfectly! But now after a couple days later my monitor goes out...any idea whats wrong? My monitor does not recieve signal from my hard drive... :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice