1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible water damage to computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by duncan1979, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duncan1979

duncan1979 Thread Starter

Today I switched on my laptop and found there's a largeish mark on the screen like a halfcircle that looks like a watermark . Just before I cleaned the screen with a wet tissue - normally I us lens wipes or a damp towel but I've used wet tissues or towels before - is it possible some water got inside the screen ? The mark won't wipe away . At first I thought it was just the display but then some keys on my keyboard stopped working and now my computer seems to be slower than normal. I phoned Dell support and they said I could buy a new display for £160 but they said I should just buy a new computer as mine is now 3 years old. I really don't want to as I don't want Windows 10 - I found a replacement display for my model laptop from Amazon for about 50 - I also found a replacement keyboard for similar price .But I'm, still worried there may be other damage -- I ran diagnostics which didn't find anything and did a system restore to before Christmas, which didn't change anything - the keys still don't ok and it still seems slow.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can offer advice - it seems too much of a coincidence but I can't believe some water could do damage apart from the display - it seems odd it should affect the keys?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Stick it in a warm dry place for a week - with the battery removed -and see if it goes away

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    To add to daves advice,

Place it into a LARGE bag of WHITE RICE. The rice will act as an absorbant and DRAW the water out of it. Leave it there, as Dave says, for about a week.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice