1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possibly buying new computer?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by c123, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. c123

c123 Thread Starter

Hello-
    I've recently been looking into buying a PC with Vista. Is it stable enough at this point? Also, I've heard that some programs such as iTunes have problems on Vista. Furthermore, will things such as my wireless adapter be supported?

Any other things I should be aware of before seriously considering a Vista PC?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, this computer was in my local Office Depot ad. Looks good to me...Is Lenovo a decent brand? And does this setup look good? I need it for mostly everyday things, and occasionally video editing, etc.

Specs from www.officedepot.com:
    The Lenovo 3000 J115 (7387-A11) Bundle features a 19" widescreen LCD flat panel monitor, a built-in optical drive to burn and play CDs and DVDs, and a large 250GB hard drive to store thousands of photos and other files. It is powered by the AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor 3800+, a dual-core processor capable of running 2 applications simultaneously.

The Lenovo 3000 J115 (7387-A11) Bundle includes:
    * AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ processor operating at 2.0GHz, with Enhanced Virus Protection†
    * Lenovo L192 19" widescreen WXGA+ (1440 x 900) LCD monitor
    * 2000MHz frontside bus
    * 1.0GB of PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM, upgradable to 2.0GB
    * 250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive
    * DVD±RW drive lets you burn and play CDs and DVDs, including Double Layer DVD media, with a capacity of 8.5GB per disc.
    * Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000Base-T) network interface
    * 56K V.92 modem
    * 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 4 back)
    * 1 parallel port
    * 1 serial port
    * 2 PS/2 ports
    * nVidia GeForce 6100 graphics with shared video memory
    * SoundMAX integrated audio
    * Line-in, headphone/line-out and external microphone jacks (front and back)
    * Keyboard and optical wheel mouse
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just curious about all this. Thanks for looking!

2. c123

c123 Thread Starter

Bump-
    I was just wondering if that computer looked decent?
    And also if Vista has many bugs? Have most of the major problems been worked out?

Thanks!

3. Crusnik

Crusnik

Never heard of Lenovo, but the specs on that spec sound decent. May want to upgrade the RAM to 2gb.

If you're buying a new machine with Vista pre-installed, I can see you not running into as many problems as the rest of us that are upgrading our exsisting systems. Though I can openly admit, Vista is still very buggy. I guess it depends what hardware / software you plan on using.

4. c123

c123 Thread Starter

I see. I've searched lists and ran the windows tool that checks your hardware. It seems everything that is important is supported by vista.

I believe Lenovo is part of IBM, or the other way around, maybe? Not sure.

Thanks---any more advice welcome:)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Lenovo bought out IBM's desktop/laptop unit.

Every new operating system will have numerous issues, some applications won't work, you may not be able to find drivers for some hardware(like printers or scanners). The computer itself will likely run fine, its the stuff you add to it that may not.

6. c123

c123 Thread Starter

Okay, as I said so far it looks ok.
    The computer is $599.99.

Seems like a good deal to me...does that sound like a decent price?
    Thanks

7. Crusnik

Crusnik

LCD monitor, decent PC, and Vista... I'd say that a good deal =)

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, the price is right.

9. c123

c123 Thread Starter

That's it.
    But it's actually in the weekly specials for 599.99
    As well as in our office depot ad. Price is good until Feb 10.
    It may just be a store or regional deal, i'm not sure.

10. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
  11. Compiler

Compiler

The $600 price is quite good... Yeah, that company is still using IBM designed cases/components.

Best Buy is offering a simular system for $680 (Acer x2 4000/1GB/320HD) with a 19" monitor and Canon Printer. this week only (tomorrow maybe last day - tues)

12. c123

c123 Thread Starter

Thanks.

Thanks for your help everyone!

But unfortunately I might be have to wait a while before getting one.(Parents:rolleyes: )

Thanks for posting, and everybody have a good day.

13. adlin5000

adlin5000

$500 is a good price but I have seen this model (sans monitor) going for $300-$350 all over the internet. I am thinking of getting one myself if my tax return comes in time. One question, dose anyone know what mobo is in this? I have not been able to get info on any of the sites I've seen it on.

Tech for Less
    - $297.00
    E-bay Express - $298.28

14. Compiler

Compiler

Most people don't take apart their name-brand systems... and what mobos are used, are OEM versions anyway - so a model number may not match up with a retail or standard board from ASUS, MSI, etc.

Quicky note: Wal Mart is selling cheap E-Machines for $298.... two models, one complete junk, the other still low end, but easily faster:

A) intel Celeron CPU, 512mb RAM, 80GB HD, intel chipset graphics, DVD burner.
    B) AMD Sempron CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Nvidia chipset graphics, DVD burners.

(Both include WindowsVista, keyboard, mouse and speakers)

System B has a faster CPU, double the ram, double the HD, and a much faster built-in graphics.

Feel sorry for the Joe-public who buys the intel system.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice