1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

POST and Beep Codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemo, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Behemo

Behemo Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new here.

My nephew asked me to look at his PC because I'm the family computer expert:)

But I can't fix it so my reputation is in tatters. If you can make any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

It's a desktop PC running Vista, about four years old. When turned on there's no display and it immediately beeps. It's a long beep repeated continuously.

The motherboard is by Foxconn (N15235) and after rooting around their web site I found that this indicates a RAM error.

I replaced all the RAM cards and the cmos battery but to no avail.

Possibly the motherboard is faulty, but I can't test that.

Ideas gratefully accepted.

2. centauricw

centauricw

Try to only put in the minimal amount of RAM sticks required (usually two) and if you have another computer that you a verify the RAM in, all the better. If you can rule out the RAM, then it's the motherboard. The memory controllers are complex pieces of silicon and it they are the fault, you'll get the same beep error.

3. Behemo

Behemo Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have another PC taking the same RAM so I'm stuck in that respect. But I've tried three different sticks (and no sticks as well) and always the result is the same. Possibly all three are faulty but probably it's the motherboard.

4. centauricw

centauricw

I agree. If you get the same results with 3 different sticks, it's going to the motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/998353