1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Post beep code

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fohsie, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fohsie

fohsie Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me what 3 beeps mean, my board is Intel D945 GCCR. My computer beeps 3 times and then just won't start up and also that this beep thing doesn't always happen, it happens sometimes and other times the system will boot quite normally.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I put this in your own thread. When you have a problem, please start your own thread rather than posting on someone's thread. The reason for this is that with one problem per thread, it is difficult at best to follow what has/has not been done. With multiple problem per post, it is impossible.

Here is a link to intel beep codes FWIW it sounds like a failing board however you can attempt the troubleshooting tasks in the article.

3. kev1952

kev1952

As the graphics are onboard the only likely suspect would be a RAM chip. Some systems are very finicky when it comes to inserting RAM chips - pull the RAM and make sure the RAM sockets are clean (no dust). If they are dusty give them a good clean with either a can of compressed air or a soft brush. Re-insert the RAM chip(s) making doubly sure the "click" properly in to place. Test the machine. If the problem still persists put your finger on the top edge of the RAM chip and gently rock it from side to side. Test again.

The problem being intermittent is also not unusual as any slight movement of the case can cause the chip to make and break the contacts.

4. fohsie

fohsie Thread Starter

What does 3 beeps - Base 64 K memory failure means, does it correspond to a RAM problem or a motherboard problem.

My system is still under warranty, what should i do?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is still under warranty, return it.

If you read the article, it tells you what it means; a memory problem. Beep codes are not designed to give you detailed instructions. They are designed to show you where to look for a problem. In this case, it is either memory OR the memory controller on the board.

6. kev1952

kev1952

Fully agree with the above - send it back if it's under warranty. If you fiddle with it you could end up voiding the warranty.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/710860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice