1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Post-beer spill salvage - bad pool header, etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jbardo, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbardo

jbardo Thread Starter

I've got a whole wealth of problems, but I'll stick to the computer related ones! Let me run down the story of what happened and what I (stupidly) tried to do to fix it. I am reasonably certain that I turned a mess into a complete disaster and am at the point where I pretty much expect to buy a new computer. But I'll get there in a moment...

It all started a few nights ago when my three-year old knocked over a beer onto my laptop, a Samsung QX-410. At first a few keys didn't work but then the entire keyboard malfunctioned. This is where I made matters worse. I have swapped keyboards in the past on a Dell and Compaq laptop, but never with the "island-style" keyboard. I opened the back and, lo and behold, discovered that the keyboard was located below the fan, CPU, and entire motherboard. Even worse, it seemed to be fastened in with non-screw pegs that I had no idea how to open. I thought, hmm, maybe I should go in through the top? I then tried to pry off the aluminum face which was glued on, damaging it - the entire edge between the keyboard and bevel is bent upward (I tried gluing it back down with 5-minute epoxy but it didn't work).

In the process of opening the back, I had to disconnect the hard-drive and optical drive. Since I did that, I've been getting "Blue Screen of Death" crashes with the title "Bad Pool Header." At first I could access files, and I thankfully copied my most important Word documents onto a flash drive. I could also still play music and was able to connect an external keyboard and use that, although the internal keyboard was still causing problems - typing letters by itself, causing file folders to flicker, etc. I decided that I needed to see if I could even get the keyboard out myself, or at least disconnect it to see if it cleared up the other problems. I was able to disconnect it (although still can't see how I can possibly remove it).

So the situation now is that I can't get to the desktop unless in safe mode. Whenever I try to open a file, whether a Word document or System Restore or even Task Manager, I get a blank window - the window opens up but is blank, with what looks like "remnants" of tab options and no content. Very shortly after trying to do any task, I get the BSOD and Bad Pool Header and have to start again. To put it another way, the computer is unusable.

I tried "Samsung Restore Solutions" Basic Restore and it worked, but didn't make a difference. Somehow I was able to create a System Repair disc, but when I tried to run on a restart, it gave me the message that I had a "0xc00000e9" error. On the old laptop I'm typing on, I found a supposed fix for this on wiki-errors.com, but when I try to get online on the damaged computer, it crashes and I'm back to the BSOD.

At this point, what I'm hoping to do is salvage the hard-drive and put it in a new computer. I've accepted the likely fact that the Samsung is dead and gone, but I really hope that it isn't the hard drive that is causing problems (BSOD) but something else - the motherboard or something else (maybe the beer got into the motherboard). Of course it could be that I damaged or corrupted the hard drive somehow...

I would, of course, like to fix the Samsung if at all possible, if only so I can access files that I didn't save. But even if I can fix it, I will be getting a new laptop because I just don't see how I can replace the keyboard without the help of a tech, and I've damaged the nice aluminum case that makes it so special. I'd rather swallow the $500 or so that it would take to get a new rig (I'm looking into an HP Probook 4530, but that's another story).

So in terms of specific questions:

1. What is going on? What is damaged? Is it fixable?
    2. How can i access my hard drive? Is there an easy way that I can connect it to the four-year old old HP Pavilion dv6000 that I'm typing from? What sort of adapter would I need to go from the SATA ribbon (it looks like half or three-quarters of an inch) to a USB port?
    3. Would it be possible to swap the hard drive it into a new computer? The Probook I'm looking into only has a 320 GB hard drive, while my Samsung has a 640 GB - and I have a ton of music, something like 10,000 songs, that might not fit on a 320 GB hard drive.

Thanks in an advance for any help that you can offer!

p.s. Another reason I want to use the Samsung's hard drive is because there are some problems on it - like Microsoft Office - that I no longer have the CDs for, and I don't want to spend even more money getting them. My sister and I shared one of those Office discs that allow you three copies and they're all used up.

2. jbardo

jbardo Thread Starter

As an addendum, I'm currently able to copy music files onto a flash drive - it has been a couple minutes with crashing, and the computer is able to read the Music and flash drive folders (in other words, they're not blank).

As far as I can tell, the files and folders that can't be opened are Word files and system files like System Restore. Why would the computer be able to open some files (music, drives) but not others (documents, system stuff)?

3. vicks

vicks

SOMETIMES, if a keyboard is given enuf time it will dry out.... my policy is to NOT use any open container with liquids in it around the computer. MAYBE, if you give it more time it will all work again, but I would not hold my breath...
    Vicks

4. jbardo

jbardo Thread Starter

It has been three days, so I think that ship has sailed.

5. vicks

vicks

A couple of years ago, one of our granddaughters spilled some water on her netbook. It took a couple of weeks for it to dry, then it started working just fine. I suggest that you not try to power it up for a while yet.
    Vicks

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Good advice from vicks already, I would just add that leaving the laptop upside down while it (hopefully) dries out is a good idea.

Also you could try removing the hard drive and putting it into a Usb caddy (these are very cheap) and getting the files off onto another computer.

7. vicks

vicks

I was just re-reading your original post.... As far as the Microsoft office goes, I use Open Office, it will work with MS office programs....and it is FREE....
    Vicks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice