1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Post-dated registry back-ups

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by moinkansas, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moinkansas

moinkansas Thread Starter

From time to time, when my system crashes, the date is moved up by a year or more, so I have some old, post-dated registry backup files. Is it safe to just delete them from windows explorer? I'm using Windows 98se.

Thanks!

2. columbo

columbo

Sorry, but what do you mean "the date is moved up by a year or more"? If you're confident that you have current backups of your registry, then I don't see why deleting old registry backups would be a problem.

Sorry, I'm just a little confused.

Columbo

3. moinkansas

Sorry -- I mean, once in a blue moon, when I restart my PC after a crash, "something" :confused: moves the date to a future year until I reset it from date/time properties, so I have rb cab files with dates like May 14, 2017 and June 6, 2003. Can I just delete them? (I think that's what you're saying -- I just want to be sure...)

Thanks!

4. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Hmmm.....that's weird. I wonder where it's pulling those dates from?

Anyways, if you want to be safe, then you could just do a manual backup of your registry every week or two (Start, Run, Regedit, Registry, Export, All).

Better safe than sorry, right? :D

Columbo

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Just delete the files and let the regular Windows scanreg replace them.
    There is no need to do an export of the registry since backups are being taken on the first boot of the day.
    Even though the creation date of the file is wrong, it is still a valid registry backup and can be used to restore, if required.

6. moinkansas

Thank you both!

For what it's worth, the weird date thing may have something to do with one of my cats deciding the OS disk was a nifty chew toy (shiny!) just before the last time I reformatted...

7. columbo

columbo

Windows 98 automatic registry backups can become damaged or unusable just like any other file. If the functionality of my PC was important to me and downtime wasn't an option, and I wanted assurance that I would be able to recover from a corrupted registry, I would manually export the registry and copy it off onto another media type. Like I said, better safe than sorry.

No offense, but nowhere in this thread did moinkansas indicate that he had tested/verified whether or not these registry backups with the odd dates worked OK. You're making an assumption here and telling moinkansas NOT to err on the side of caution. I don't think that's the best advice to give someone.

I'm not trying to be offensive or arrogant or anything here Whitphil, and I sincerely apologize if I've come across as such :) that is not my intention. I just tend to think that when it comes to data recovery, one should never rely solely on the stabiltiy and trustworthiness of Windows 98.

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

No offense taken.

But, the registries that are backed up on the first boot of the day, have just gone through the scanreg verification, AND, the PC has just booted.
    That is why the backup is taken at bootup time.

Thus, if you restore one of those backups, they should be guaranteed to boot the PC, since there is little chance they will get corrupted. And, if the current one gets corrupted, you can revert to the previous one. To have to revert to a manual backup, taken 7 to 14 days ago, would be pretty dramatic. (meaning 5 "good" backups refused to boot). And, if you did actually restore it, you would now have a registry that was potentially, badly out of sync with the running environment.

I also see you mention backing it up to another media. In most cases, that would need to be tape, or CDrom, due to the size of the registry. (and an exported one is larger than one generated by scanreg).

As for deleting the other copies. there is really no danger there. There are just taking up room in the 5 that windows keeps, and it is that date stamp on them that is wrong. By deleting them, windows will start to replace them with current (and correctly) dated backups.
    If for example, you go to the Windows\Sysbckup folder and delete (or rename) all the cab files that are there, and then reboot, windows will think that no backups have yet been taken, and generate another backup.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice