POST error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MickL

A friend is having major problems with booting up.

They are using XP Home with SP2 on a Dell Dimension 2400.

When they bootup, the pc keeps restarting itself before it even gets to the xp load screen (as soon as it displays the Dell config info).

I have looked at the CMOS & bootlogs and found that POST is failing at the keyboard stage. I have tried using another keyboard (the one I'm currently typing with!) and get the same problem.

Does anyone have any idea how the problem can be rectified?

Thanks in advance for any help.

is there any message with this .. and have you tried to boot up in safe mode ?
safe mode is f8 if you can get it .. just when the computer is fired up start continuously tapping F8 .. let us know ..

How are you looking at logs if the system won't start to Windows?

If you can do a Safe Mode start, try System Restore. Also try opening System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery and take the check out of Automatically Restart.

Dell actually has some pretty good Tech Support and although the system ay be out of warranty, for a BIOS issue you may need them to tell you how to reload the setup and configuration defaults. This is not a user interface option in their CMOS setup properties, but requires a special sequence of keyboard commands.

MickL

The computer wont bootup at all - I got the info from the CMOS screen - there is a section that shows POST errors.

The computer only starts for about 5 seconds before it reboots - giving enough time to get into CMOS.

Sounds pretty bad; you might try replacing the CMOS battery and possibly physically resetting the CMOS using the jumpers near the battery -- but removing the battery for a couple of minutes should do the same thing.

I would also disconnect as much periperal hardware as practical, usb stuff, keyboard, mouse, etc ... just to see if you can get a boot.

And try reseating all other cables and cards.

Also quote exactly any post errors or codes you are seeing. You might try hitting the pause/break key if you see something just prior to a restart.

MickL

Some further information........

I have taken the hard drive from my friends computer & put it into my computer as a slave.

Going through explorer I can access all the content of my friends hard drive & have run chkdsk /r and found no problems.

It appears that the problem is related to the boot process as when I put the hard drive as master on my machine, the same problem occurs.

Can anyone suggest a way of repairing boot process or which files I can copy from my hard drive onto my friends to enable it to boot?

MickL said:
Some further information........

I have taken the hard drive from my friends computer & put it into my computer as a slave.

Going through explorer I can access all the content of my friends hard drive & have run chkdsk /r and found no problems.

It appears that the problem is related to the boot process as when I put the hard drive as master on my machine, the same problem occurs.

Can anyone suggest a way of repairing boot process or which files I can copy from my hard drive onto my friends to enable it to boot?
MickL,

Boot process problems are almost exclusively hardware problems, so the problem most likely won't be cured by copying files from your hard drive to your friend's.

Your inspection of the boot logs indicates a problem with POST at the keyboard stage, which is a good first step at problem isolation. Without knowing what BIOS or motherboard (which Dell Tech Support know) it may not be possible to make further suggestions to help than Rollin' Rog has already suggested.

Your best bet at this stage is to follow Rollin' Rog's advice in #3 to contact Dell Tech Support and ask for the help he mentioned.

-- Tom

Actually if the same problem is occuring on your machine then the problem has to be on the hard drive itself, not the motherboard or BIOS of the affected system.

With the drive back on the affected system, can you get to the recovery console and run such options as "bootcfg", "fixboot" and "fixmbr" ?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314058&

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_bjid.asp

Also, although technically "advanced" you seem to have the resources to try to repair any possible registry related issues by following the FULL drill here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307545

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online