1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

POST only shows on ext. display not on laptop screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leokendall, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leokendall

leokendall Thread Starter

Was using the net-book, shut it down normal, the next day, didn't have no acer boot screen, and no touch pad. i hooked up an external monitor to test the screen lcd screen and everything was showing up on the external monitor. Nothing showed up on the net-book screen until after the windows xp was loaded and the splash screen show up. then the displays switched from the monitor to to the net-book. I did a system recovery, didn't work, tried to reinstall the drivers nothing different. I upgraded the Bios and that got the touch pad working again but the boot screen still only shows up on the external monitor. any ideas?
    Everything still works, start the computer without the external monitor hooked up, wait a minuet with a black screen (not even powered on) and then the screen right before the desktop show up and then the desktop.

Seems like the Bios is using the vga -out as the primary display until windows loads it's drivers.

Net-book only 3 days old, bought on clearance so no return.
    Acer aspire one d250-1821.
    Please Help

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's two keys on the keyboard to press to switch between the internal screen and an external screen, have you tried those? Its FN + F#(maybe F5 - check the diagrams on the keys or the manual).

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And even if its clearance it should have some kind of warranty, if not through the store then through Acer. Acer puts a 1 year warranty on all new units.

4. leokendall

tried the store, lol shoppers drug mart, no return on electronics, tryed all the fn keys, and yes it is fn+f5 to change the screens but still don't seem to work. what i did notice and can report to is that the bios screen is normal viewing mode 4:3 like a standard tv while the netbook is wide screen. i'm not to worried about it at the moment because if i needs to access the bios or boot menu i can hook up to an external monitor or my tv to do a format. strange though after the POST screen and the windows loading screen, everything works as it should, the netbook display can switch views easily through the fn key to the external monitor. and get this i can even change the resolution to 1920 by 1080, on a 10.1" screen. i'll still play around with it and if i can get a fix i'll report it.
    Any other ideas and i'll try them.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its a hardware fault then you should at least contact Acer. If the problem gets worse after warranty then it'll be cheaper to buy a new Netbook then to get it repaired.

6. leokendall

well if the problem gets worst i'll send it away, but all it is as of now is just a minor bug. As soon as the splash screen appears everything is working 100 percent. it's not like i'm gonna format the netbook everyday or use the bios all the time.
    one thing to note though the external monitor is set as the default monitor, but the netbook display is set as the primary. I do not know how to change it so that the netbook lcd is the default display. There isn't any options listed any wear to show it.

Thanks for the replys have a nice day/night/morning,

Other suggestions welcomed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice