1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Post Test when it wants to

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cy_usa, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cy_usa

Cy_usa Thread Starter

Ok here the deal, after installing some programs I went to restart the pc. It shutdown fine but then it would not restart so I look at it more closely and here it not even POST testing. I had no display, no beep codes. It was not even checking the A drive. I took out the sound card and all the DVD drives (2) so that all that was attached was the hard drive, floppy drive, video card, ram and the CPU, still no Post. So I hook 1 of my other pcs to the net and looked on some forms for about 15mins. When I went back to try something, I thought I would try to start it up 1 more time…. And it WORKED... the 2 errors I got right way was CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad & CMOS Date/Time Not Set.

So I set the CMOS Date and Time. Restarted and it worked fine. I got on the net and looked up the cmos checksum bad error and some people said it was do to the cmos battery so I replaced it.

Now after 2 weeks, I was told I needed win xp pro for a class that I am taking in college. So I decided to reformat my pc, the xp install went fine. I was installing some programs and I needed to restart. My worst fear came true Its BACK. Once again it would not post test. I opened the case all looked fine. So once again I hook up a different pc to the net and went searching for about 15mins. Came back to it and tried it,,, now it working again. And again the same errors came up as last time.

So what are some possible causes? :confused:

Here a summary of what happens:

Restart
    Wont POST :eek:
    Let sit with power off for about 15min
    Come back, power on
    Now will Post :confused:
    2 errors (cmos/gpnv checksum bad & coms date time not set)
    Works fine (for how long?) :confused:

Thing I tried:

Replacing coms battery

PC specs:
    About 1 1/2 years old

MB: Intel D875PBZ (Bios P27)
    Intel 2.4Ghz Processor
    512MB of ram (corsair Twinx512-3200LL)
    Video: ATI 9800 Pro 256MB
    80GB WD Hard drive

CY

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are all the fans working correctly - any sign of over temp when it goes wrong.
    sounds like an intermittent fault - when it wont post are the fans running anywhere.

The PSU fan would be a good clue - if this is running when it wont post at least you know some power is on the machine.

i suspect it could be PSU, motherboard - or some device pulling the poswersupply down....you seem to be doing the right think regards removing hardware to isolate the problem

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice