1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Posts but doesn't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tanusgreystar, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tanusgreystar

tanusgreystar Thread Starter

Hi. I installed a new mobo in a Dell Studio case and I'm using a Xeon e5450 with an adapter (for socket T). It posts, I can get into the bios and the bios reads the xeon cpu perfectly. Problem is, I can't install Windows or Linux. It just hangs upon loading the os. Any ideas?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What error are you seeing? Is the CD/DVD seen in the BIOS?

3. tanusgreystar

Yes I can see the dvd drive and am able to boot from it but the windows screen hangs and doesn't do anything else. I can't use the live linux disk either

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm not sure. If I had guess, some part of the system (even though it is passing POST) is not being properly recognized, thus the installers can't load drivers to run properly.

Has it worked in the past? Any recent hardware changes?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post exactly what mb you installed along with ALL of your other parts ie exact mb, exact ram, exact video card, etc, etc, etc. Post links to your parts if possible.

6. tanusgreystar

I figured out what it is. Even though I used an adapter so I could install the Xeon, I still needed to mod and update the BIOS to be able to use it completely. Thanks.

7. tanusgreystar

Ok, so the pc is still running very slow, but the following things have improved it: Modding BIOS to take e5450 microcodes, Loading the correct video driver, and turning off floppy support in bios. Generally it's running ok, but then it starts to slow down to a crawl.

Hardware: asus p5n7a-vm mobo, Xeon E5450 cpu, 4gb (2x2) Crucial value ram, Seagate 750gb HDD, Diablotek 400w psu, running latest build of Ubuntu Studio

should have mentioned I got the os on the pc, which took a long time, and it's running just very slow

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not sure if this is your problem however this
    is absolute junk. The very first thing I would do would be to install a quality pw supply.
    Next this is the support page for the mb you listed. Unless I am missing something; the cpu you listed is not supported
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5N7AVM/HelpDesk_CPU/

9. tanusgreystar

I used an adapter for the cpu and modded the bios so it would accept the xeon. So possibly not enough quality juice going to the system?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

After installing a quality pw supply, I would install a mb that actually supports that cpu. Just because you used an adapter does not mean the mb has the necessary current to run that cpu.

When you mod a bios, you are a beta tester; might work and might not work. Honestly I would not put any more money into trying to get an 8yr old cpu to work.

If you are doing this as a project to learn, then it is fine. If you are doing this with the idea that you going to actually use it, that is another issue.

11. tanusgreystar

I do have a slower core 2 quad, I can swap out the xeon and see what happens.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Be sure you flash back to the latest release bios for the board; that and a quality pw supply and you should be ok.

13. tanusgreystar

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your thread now shows solved; so is it working?

15. tanusgreystar

I haven't finished swapping the cpu yet. Probably should unmark it as solved. Pretty sure you're right though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice