1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

potential compatability issues / memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by webzter, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hi;

Would like to avoid possible compatibility issues between sticks of memory- can someone please comment on whether or not these two can coexist?

*16MX64 SDRAM PC100-222-820 128M, SYNC, 100MHz, CL2

* 128mb pc100 168-pin DIMM

one's onboard, the other to be an add-on. information as written on the modules themselves-

thanks very much for the assist!
    webz

2. mobo

mobo

should work, but remember that some varieties don't play well with others.

3. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

super...Motherboard, i genuinely appreciate the assist-
    thank you!

BTW... The "CL2" which appears on the one and not the other is a reference to clocking speed is it not? Does it make a difference that's its absent from the one in terms of any compatibility issues?

thanks again!

4. mobo

mobo

thats cache latency , the clock speed it 100 mhz

5. active95

active95

They can co-exist, BUT .. it all boils down the to motherboard..
    There are couple of ways to see if the mobo will accept that configuration.:
    a. web site of the manufacturer..
    b. usenet ( newsgroups ) can tell if there is a problem with that particular configuration
    c. install the RAM and see ( can't go wrong , well it's not 100% proof , but ) .
    And to give better advice could you post the info about your computer? ( mobo make and model , chipset )
    HTH

6. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

point taken...i'm trying to avoid #3 though, if i buy it and it's n/g, i'm stuck with it- that's why i was trying to do the research in advance instead of just assuming that because they were both sdram and 100mhz they'd work-

im also more than sure that if i were to ask compaq, they'd tell me i need "their" propriatary memory so id kinda like to avoid that discussion-

i dont know if this helps, but the following is verbatim what's written on the "CL2" stick (non compaq);

lable: HYS54V1622GU-S-C 16MX64 SDRAM PC100-222-820 128M, SYNC, 100MHz, CL2 C1W03011340 - does this help ID it any better?

7. mobo

mobo

verify your ram type here

8. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

thanks m'board...went to Crucial site as you suggested- not sure i used it correctly because there's really no apparent "substitution or cross reference list or replacemnt guide but there are live techs you can ask mon- thru fri- is that what you have in mind?

9. mobo

mobo

What I had i mind was to enter the make of motherboard i the dropdown menu then go. In the next screen enter the model and it will show you the ram compatible with your pc..

10. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

I think i see what you had in mind with this site, motherboard. It would work if i just wanted to find random compatable memory-where anybody's would be ok- but i have a particular stick (the first of the two initially listed) who's compatability i have to determine with the second- admittedly not the best way to sort out memory purchases- by cost only, but it comes down at least for now of being able to be certain that these two will work together- so what im really looking for is a cross reference or substitution list where a given mod # lists all the interchangable models that it will work with-

E D I T ..............

NOW I DIDNT CATCH THE MOTHEREBOARD- CAPABLE REFERENCE CAPABILITY- THAT I CAN DO- T Y!

11. active95

active95

Well , in theory it should work..
    Like motherboard said, CL 2 is related to the "speed" it process the data. Basically RAM cames in couple of flavors
    CL3. CL2.5, CL 2 ( fyi --the lower the cl number the faster can the RAM "spit-out" the data, sorta of....:D ). Anyways , a CL2 RAM will work with a CL2.5 or CL 3 for that matter. Since it's able to "spit" out data, at a slower rate. On the other hand a Ram stick labled CL 3 or CL 2.5 will have a hellava time trying to "spit-out" data in CL 2 mode ( frankly , most <but not all > RAM sticks labled CL 3 will not be able to run CL2 ).
    Now webzter, how about posting what kinda of pc you have , again that way it take out the "guessing " out of the equation...

12. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

sorry active95, et all.....pc i was refering to isnt my day to day but set to the side and in pieces ready for upgrading....

it was suggest that i run the crucial "Belarc Advisor" which requires that the pc be whole so a diagnostics program can be run to determine the pc's inners- so i had to put the thing back together so i could run the program that would read the motherboard and tell me/answer me as to the compatability info im attempting to secure in order to know if a particular stick of memory id like to purchase will coexist with what's already installed.....

turns out the answer that the program spits-out refers only to crucial brand memory (keeping in mind the program is offered by crucial on crucial's website- funny that!)to use and nothing about "will brand A work with Brand B".. so im still clueless at this point and need to know if the two above mentioned pieces of memory equals a usable 256mbworking TOGETHER!

AS FOR THE PC IN QUESTION.... as i said, not my day-to-dayer....
    its a very vanilla/basic Compaq IPAQ C500 (celeron, regretably) 10GB hdd, 128mb, etc i can dig-up the entire spec sheet if that would help or provide a by-section break-out of any detailed area of the pc that would help as well-

sorry again for the delay, but as i said, needed to put it back to gether again- (and it still works, too!)

thanks very much for your patience as well as your time and interest!
    Webz

13. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

PS....MFGR IS "INFINEON"....FYI

14. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

addition information for comparative purposes (im convinced there' nothing published of a comparitive nature so here it is individually posted....

thanks for the look anyone

COMPAQ

Compaq 128MB 168pin PC100 Unbuffered DIMM 16X64 SDRAM Memory

Specs:
    Compaq part #: 323013-001
    Module Size: 128MB
    Package: 168-pin DIMM
    Feature: SDRAM, PC100
    Configuration: 16Meg x 64
    128MB - PC100-322-620

infineon

Infineon 128MB, PC100

HYS54V1622GU-S-C 16MX64 SDRAM PC100-222-820 128M, SYNC, 100MHz, CL2 C1W03011340

hopefully above represents enough info where at least a good
    "EDUCATED GUESS" can be made!

thanks!

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

May I ask how much you are going to pay for it??? It 'sounds' to me like it 'should' work........

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!