Potential GPU Issue? Lots of games crashing

StormDin0

Have to agree, no way I would pay that sort of money for 1660 even if it was an upgrade.

Definitely sounds like a GPU issue, unfortunate given the current climate :cry:
Yup, so I'm just gunna have to try my like everywhere then 😅

Unfortunately I wouldn't go for a GTX 1660. I know the market is buggered rn. But I'm not looking to pay £600-700 on a card that's not as good as my current card, significantly over priced and more expensive than what I paid for my current card it would be a downgrade. Thanks for the suggestion but I'm going to keep looking and keep my hopes up.
I only mentioned the GTX 1660 Super because it is a new item and is available for sale right now. I realize it is a downgrade but at least would solve your problem for now. The only other choice is to find something used on Ebay. Since it may be next year before you get a proper new replacement at a reasonable price it is up to you how you want to go forward. Good luck in whatever you do.

StormDin0

I only mentioned the GTX 1660 Super because it is a new item and is available for sale right now. I realize it is a downgrade but at least would solve your problem for now. The only other choice is to find something used on Ebay. Since it may be next year before you get a proper new replacement at a reasonable price it is up to you how you want to go forward. Good luck in whatever you do.
Yeah I get that but it's not even reasonably priced. I've not seen them in stock anywhere. Thanks though

Yeah I get that but it's not even reasonably priced. I've not seen them in stock anywhere. Thanks though
I just checked Amazon and Newegg. They have some new GTX 1660 Super's available but I agree the prices are high. My personal limit is probably in the $600-700 range if I had a computer that needed a GPU for gaming. Otherwise I would make do with what I have. I had planned to build a new computer next year to replace the computer I built in 2017. If prices by then are not reasonable enough I may end up buying a prebuilt.

StormDin0

I just checked Amazon and Newegg. They have some new GTX 1660 Super's available but I agree the prices are high. My personal limit is probably in the $600-700 range if I had a computer that needed a GPU for gaming. Otherwise I would make do with what I have. I had planned to build a new computer next year to replace the computer I built in 2017. If prices by then are not reasonable enough I may end up buying a prebuilt.
I'm UK not us. We have no stock in any online retailers.

I've seen no stock on the uk Amazon that isn't absurdly overpriced.
OK I get your point. In any case since you think your GPU may be defective are you going to do anything about it?

Some people have given up buying new GPUs and just bought new prebuilts with the GPUs already installed. Some of the system builders have whole systems in which the included GPU looks to be close to MSRP.

Here are a few example of available computers that might be better for some than chasing the elusive new overpriced GPUs:

Skytech Shadow 3.0 Gaming Computer PC Desktop - Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core 3.80 GHz,
RTX 2060 6 GB, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB DDR4 3000, 240mm AIO, B450M MB, AC WiFi, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Black
£1,253.99

MSI AEGIS RS 10SD-034US - Intel Core i7-10700KF - 16 GB DDR4 - 1 TB HDD + 1 TB SSD -
GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - Windows 10 Home - Gaming Desktop
£1,673.99

ABS Gladiator Gaming PC - Intel i7 10700KF -
GeForce RTX 3070 - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz -
1TB M.2 NVMe SSD - EVGA CLC 240MM AIO
£1,851.59

StormDin0

OK I get your point. In any case since you think your GPU may be defective are you going to do anything about it?

Some people have given up buying new GPUs and just bought new prebuilts with the GPUs already installed. Some of the system builders have whole systems in which the included GPU looks to be close to MSRP.

Here are a few example of available computers that might be better for some than chasing the elusive new overpriced GPUs:

Skytech Shadow 3.0 Gaming Computer PC Desktop - Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core 3.80 GHz,
RTX 2060 6 GB, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB DDR4 3000, 240mm AIO, B450M MB, AC WiFi, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Black
£1,253.99

MSI AEGIS RS 10SD-034US - Intel Core i7-10700KF - 16 GB DDR4 - 1 TB HDD + 1 TB SSD -
GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - Windows 10 Home - Gaming Desktop
£1,673.99

ABS Gladiator Gaming PC - Intel i7 10700KF -
GeForce RTX 3070 - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz -
1TB M.2 NVMe SSD - EVGA CLC 240MM AIO
£1,851.59
I won't be buying a prebuilt as I literally just built a new system in February. I will just keep checking my local tech store to see if I can hedge my bets and keep a close eye on eBay and other stores. I don't have infinite money to spend. I have a very limited budget I will stick to as I have other things I have to pay for and sort. I'm not going to pay ludicrous money for subpar GPUs and I'm not going to pay even more ludicrous money GPUs being artificially inflated. Like the rest of the world, I will just see what I can get.

I won't be buying a prebuilt as I literally just built a new system in February. I will just keep checking my local tech store to see if I can hedge my bets and keep a close eye on eBay and other stores. I don't have infinite money to spend. I have a very limited budget I will stick to as I have other things I have to pay for and sort. I'm not going to pay ludicrous money for subpar GPUs and I'm not going to pay even more ludicrous money GPUs being artificially inflated. Like the rest of the world, I will just see what I can get.
I forgot you had just built a new system. Bummer. Looking at your specs if I were to build a new system now it might be something similar. Right now I have a Ryzen 7 1700X with a Geforce GTX 1060 6GB. If my GTX 1060 were to fail I would be in a similar situation.

crjdriver

Just a suggestion; as a stopgap measure until you can find a new card, attempt to underclock the card. Both the max speed and memory speed. You can do this with something like msi afterburner or if your card has a monitoring/overclocking program, you could use that.
While this is going to make your card run a little slower, it might allow you to use it for a few more months until video card prices return to some degree of normalcy.

Tanis

Shane
UK stocks are bad, but you can get a low end card relatively cheaply which might serve as a means to test in the interim.

Common places I use are, all they have are GT710, 730 and 1030s in stock :cry:

www.aria.co.uk
www.ebuyer.com
www.box.co.uk - These have a few more options but prices are ramping up

StormDin0

Just a suggestion; as a stopgap measure until you can find a new card, attempt to underclock the card. Both the max speed and memory speed. You can do this with something like msi afterburner or if your card has a monitoring/overclocking program, you could use that.
While this is going to make your card run a little slower, it might allow you to use it for a few more months until video card prices return to some degree of normalcy.
I underclocked the card to founders 1080 base clock about two months ago unfortunately it didn't do anything. I can use the card normally and play games like city skylines, SimCity, Endzone World apart and Surprisingly Star Citizen, and Gears 5 don't crash.

StormDin0

UK stocks are bad, but you can get a low end card relatively cheaply which might serve as a means to test in the interim.

Common places I use are, all they have are GT710, 730 and 1030s in stock :cry:

www.aria.co.uk
www.ebuyer.com
www.box.co.uk - These have a few more options but prices are ramping up
Yeah, I've seen lower-end cards I just cant stomach spending the cash for them.

StormDin0

I forgot you had just built a new system. Bummer. Looking at your specs if I were to build a new system now it might be something similar. Right now I have a Ryzen 7 1700X with a Geforce GTX 1060 6GB. If my GTX 1060 were to fail I would be in a similar situation.
Yeah, its quite crap, I'm just trying to be smart when looking at cards on eBay as I'm trying to walk a very fine line by not going for an insanely overpriced card but also trying to find the right card. Which is a microscopic line right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online