Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potential GPU Issue? Lots of games crashing

3K views 47 replies 4 participants last post by  StormDin0 
#1 Ā·
Hello,

So I have been trying to work out now what's wrong with my PC. I recently built a new system and the only part I transferred over from my old system was my Zotac AMP Extreme 1080 (the reason being is how the graphics card market is right now I can't buy a new one). So currently I am having issues where on multiple games it's crashing or I am getting black screens with the game audio still playing etc. However, on other games, I have no issue I can't seem to find any consistency with the issue besides the timeframe in which they crash. I monitor temps while playing. The temps don't throttle while playing. I check all my drivers from windows, GPU, CPU, etc make sure they are all up to date before I even start playing.
List of games I have crashed with:

Destiny 2 - I get the "Brocolli error code" here, However, I have absolutely no idea why as my drivers are all up to date I check every time I log onto my PC. I can play usually around 5-10 minutes before a crash the time is not consistent

Hunt Showdown - Here I can usually get less than 5 minutes into an actual match and the screen just goes black on me. The game continues in the background I can still play and here however I cant see anything due to a black screen.

Escape from Tarkov - This is a new one until this week I didn't have an issue however now I can't get more than about 5 minutes into a raid then the screen just freezes or shows me the loading screen without loading anything and the game crashes or the screen just goes black but again I can still hear, move and shoot in the game I just can't see anything.

Resident Evil Village - I just brought this game today and I can't even get more than 5 minutes into the game without it freezing and crashing. Again same thing here the screen freezes but it's continuing in the background. I did some research and read that many people are having issues with Nvidia overlay and steam overlays so I turned them off relaunched and this time I got slightly further however the graphics were all over the place then it froze and crash. I have not made it to actual gameplay just the cutscenes at the start I can't make it out of them without crashing. One thing to note is when I launched the game for the first time I got this code saying "Video CodeC --wmvideo decoder"

Everspace 2 - This one I had some success on my old system if I put Nvidia Debug mode on I could actually play a bit before it crashed. Here I have not made it out of the tutorial without the screen freezing for a second crashing and giving me "error code d3ddebug"

My PC Specs:

Phanteks Evolv Shift Air 2
B550i Aorus Pro AX
Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 - 120
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 3.70 GHz CPU
32GB Ram HyperX
ZOTAC GeForceĀ® GTX 1080 AMP Extreme
Windows 10 Home 64bit
1TB SSD
x2 2TB HDD External Storage

The uploaded images are temps of CPU and GPU from
Destiny 2 - Here you can see the crash with the link
Gears 5
Star Citizen
Escape from Tarkov - here you can see the crash with the link
Apologies for some of the poor quality I had to take them with my phone.

Attachments

See less See more
2 4
#3 Ā·
Hi and welcome to TSG.

What is the make, model and wattage of the PSU?
What BIOS version are you running?

Can you download and run the TSG system info utility which is linked in my signature below.

To check, are you running anything overclocked?

Does the utility show the motherboard voltages at all, and can you monitor those while gaming? Particularly interested in the 12v, 5v and 3.3v rails?

#4 Ā·
Hi, Thanks and thank you for the response.

My PSU is Silverstone SX750 Platinum

Here is the TSG system info Utility:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210331101849.000000+060
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 25 Model 33 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (534 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (1134 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B550I AORUS PRO AX, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends International, LLC., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Bios I believe its F13g, It was updated recently

Unfortunately, I don't have any utility installed to monitor motherboard voltages. The Utility shown in the screenshots it's just CPU and GPU.

#6 Ā·
So I have used DDU to uninstall my drivers and then manually reinstall them unfortunately it has not solved the issue it's still a problem. Here is the freeze on RE:Village

I could still hear the cutscene but there were missing sound effects etc so still a persistent issue, unfortunately. I am still pretty confident it cant be Driver related after performing a fresh wipe and install.

#9 Ā·
Have you checked to verify you have the latest drivers and BIOS for your motherboard?

Have you checked to verify you have the latest NVIDIA driver for your video card?

How are your CPU and GPU temperatures at idle and during gameplay?
Hi Thanks for your response, Apologies I don't mean to be rude but have you read my full post? I have answered all your questions in the post as well as having temps during gameplay. Here are Temps of idle workload just browsing on the internet. All drivers up to date. My windows are up to date, Bios up to date, I performed a DDU clean install of my GPU drivers this morning so they are fresh up to date. All of which I have specificed. Thanks Hopefully this answers your question and might be able to provide more help!

Attachments

#10 Ā·
First of all, when you see a gigabyte bios with a suffix like F13J or whatever, it is a beta bios. I would really think about flashing back to a release bios ie F12.
Next here is a link to the support page for your motherboard;
B550I AORUS PRO AX (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
Download and install both app center and system information viewer. After you have those installed, post the following data; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. Use any of the following for the stress test; prime95, OCCT or Realbench. Let the stress test run for at least two min to stabilize temps and voltages. Post screenshots of SIV showing the info.

#14 Ā·
First of all, when you see a gigabyte bios with a suffix like F13J or whatever, it is a beta bios. I would really think about flashing back to a release bios ie F12.
Next here is a link to the support page for your motherboard;
B550I AORUS PRO AX (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
Download and install both app center and system information viewer. After you have those installed, post the following data; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. Use any of the following for the stress test; prime95, OCCT or Realbench. Let the stress test run for at least two min to stabilize temps and voltages. Post screenshots of SIV showing the info.
Hi, Thanks for your response. I already have the app center and SIV installed along with all the recommended apps when I booted the system for the first time that was one of the first things I did. I am Currently running stress tests and normal load with the Hardware monitor on. Hopefully, this will help. I am recording the Tests and I will upload them through youtube hopefully this will help? I am using OCCT.

#16 Ā· (Edited)
I think this might be of particular interest. While running the 3D stress test OCCT I had an error occur. within about 5 minutes into the 10-minute stress test. This is very consistent with the time frame of all the crashes. I can get about 5 minutes of game time then it crashes. to see please jump 23:03.

Also here is a screenshot of the test I ran it again. Some time to note all the fans in the case ramped up to insane levels when the first error popped up. However, this does not happen during gameplay, not to the level this was at during the test.

Also here is the Normal load test.

if you need me to run anything again I will.

Attachments

#20 Ā·
Apologies Had to re-do them as they weren't the right ones. Hopefully these are the right ones. Combo of screenshots and quick vids underloads in various games

RE:Village -
Destiny 2 -
Gears 5 -

Screenshots

However, if this still is not right could you please let me know what part of the system viewer you would like the record or the hardware monitor. All screenshots are of the hardware monitor

Attachments

#21 Ā·
Do not use a game for the load test. Use prime95 or OCCT. OCCT has numerous tests ie system, video, and pw supply. If you want to use OCCT for the test, run both the system and the video or gpu test. Have SIV open to the alarm tab. That will show temps and voltages.
From what I can see, it looks like your pw supply is fine and I did not see too high of a cpu temp however do the test as outlined above and not when running a game.
You can test your video card with OCCT video test to see if the card is causing your problem.

#22 Ā·
Do not use a game for the load test. Use prime95 or OCCT. OCCT has numerous tests ie system, video, and pw supply. If you want to use OCCT for the test, run both the system and the video or gpu test. Have SIV open to the alarm tab. That will show temps and voltages.
From what I can see, it looks like your pw supply is fine and I did not see too high of a cpu temp however do the test as outlined above and not when running a game.
You can test your video card with OCCT video test to see if the card is causing your problem.
Ah right I'll jump on that now. I did get a problem running the 3D test on OCCT

Attachments

#25 Ā·
Hopefully, this is right now??

I got an error again running the 3D test this is the quickest the error has happened during the three times I've run this test today. I have no problem running any other tests I have run all of the tests on with 10 minutes and the only one to have an error was the 3D that had an error 3 times.

Attachments

#26 Ā·
Your cooling and pw supply look OK. I would put money on a failing video card.
You can pull your card out and make sure the heatsinks are firmly attached, no dust, etc however I would put money on a failing video card.
If you have another video card sitting around, you can swap that in for testing to be absolutely sure.

#27 Ā·
Your cooling and pw supply look OK. I would put money on a failing video card.
You can pull your card out and make sure the heatsinks are firmly attached, no dust, etc however I would put money on a failing video card.
If you have another video card sitting around, you can swap that in for testing to be absolutely sure.
Unfortunately, I don't have another GPU I can just shove in. I wanted to buy a new one but as the GPU market is absolutely buggered right now it's not really an option. I had a hunch a while back that my GPU was failing as on my old system I ended up getting a lot of BSOD after having the same issues with games that I am currently dealing with. However, after 3 clean wipes and installs it was working but only when I played in Nvidia debugged mode. So I decided to build a new rig which is what I am currently running and the only part that was in both systems was the GPU and the issues have carried from one system to another. So it probably is the beginning of the end for my GPU. However, I only have a budget of Ā£500-Ā£600 and you can't get anything for that price currently on the market.

#41 Ā·
Just a suggestion; as a stopgap measure until you can find a new card, attempt to underclock the card. Both the max speed and memory speed. You can do this with something like msi afterburner or if your card has a monitoring/overclocking program, you could use that.
While this is going to make your card run a little slower, it might allow you to use it for a few more months until video card prices return to some degree of normalcy.

#43 Ā·
Just a suggestion; as a stopgap measure until you can find a new card, attempt to underclock the card. Both the max speed and memory speed. You can do this with something like msi afterburner or if your card has a monitoring/overclocking program, you could use that.
While this is going to make your card run a little slower, it might allow you to use it for a few more months until video card prices return to some degree of normalcy.
I underclocked the card to founders 1080 base clock about two months ago unfortunately it didn't do anything. I can use the card normally and play games like city skylines, SimCity, Endzone World apart and Surprisingly Star Citizen, and Gears 5 don't crash.

#44 Ā·
UK stocks are bad, but you can get a low end card relatively cheaply which might serve as a means to test in the interim.

Common places I use are, all they have are GT710, 730 and 1030s in stock :cry:

www.aria.co.uk
www.ebuyer.com
www.box.co.uk - These have a few more options but prices are ramping up
Yeah, I've seen lower-end cards I just cant stomach spending the cash for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.