1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Potential Hard Drive Corruption?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrabbyPatty, Nov 11, 2019.

1. CrabbyPatty

CrabbyPatty Thread Starter

Hi peeps!
    So yesterday we had a power outage and once I turned my PC back on it failed to find windows 10 on my hard drive, even though my hard drive is in the booting sequence.
    I was going to reboot it from my USB using the Windows creation tool however it powered up fine today, until chrome had a little struggle downloading a file. Computer restarted itself and couldn't find the drive again.
    Switched it off and left it for a few minutes, started up again fine.
    Ran security check and there seems to be no virus.
    My questions are:
    Does this seem like my hard drive could be corrupted?
    Should I run checking error in hopes that it would fix it? - my main worry is that it might make the situation worse?
    Tia

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    First thought based the power outage, is a hardware fault. Drive corruption wouldn't magically fix itself and work properly every other time you boot. If files are corrupted, they stay corrupted until fixed.

Is the drive actually being detected by the BIOS when it won't boot?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice