1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Potential Virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Silus, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silus

Silus Thread Starter

I got infected with a rouge antivirus about a month or so back. Removed it easily enough with instructions found online. Then, about a week ago, I become infected with a different rouge antivirus. Remove it using instructions from online, again. Firefox has also been opening tabs without me prompting it to do so.

It's my understanding that Rootkits can redownload the same virus or different types of the same virus onto a PC, is it possible that I have one of those? I ran TDSS Killer and TDSS Remover just a little while ago, but got nothing.

Yesterday I downloaded Comodo premium as well as Microsoft Security Essentials, figured current antivirus wasn't cutting it. Ran scans with them, they found and removed a few problems, but I didn't let them finish the scans. They both prompted me to restart. When I did restart, got a blue screen that read as:

Stop:c00000135
    Failed to start because consrv was not found

Got the same thing when I tried to boot in safe mode. Prompted me to run windows start up repair. Did that, asks me if I want to restore my computer to an earlier point. I tell it yes. After a while it fixes the problem and restarts successfully. Both antivirus programs are now removed. Reinstal MSE, run partial scan, clean potential threats, restart. Same blue screen, same message, same fix.

I've heard having multiple antivirus systems can cause problems on computers, is that possibly what's giving me blue screen errors?

The rouge antivirus programs are easily enough removed, and the Firefox issues are more of an annoyance than anything else. Still, if there's a problem I'd like to fix it.

2. Silus

Silus Thread Starter

Not sure how much this'll help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 6110 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 462621 MB, Free - 284580 MB; D: Total - 14314 MB, Free - 2166 MB;
    Motherboard: Compal, 30F4
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

3. Silus

Silus Thread Starter

Bump?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice