1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poverty and single People!

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by lighthouse, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lighthouse

lighthouse Thread Starter

At last, someone finally mentioned in Radioland yesterday how single People are affected by Poverty more than Couples. Whoever coined the Phrase "A Problem shared is a Problem halved" was right - and particularly in this Instance. A Minimum Wage Earner brings about £200 home every Week. If their Rent is £100 - they pay £100. A Couple on the same Wage (thus £400) pay the same Rent - that's only £50 PWK each. This applies for everything else they both use (Utilities, Council Tax, Food, etc) - so £25 PWK Electricity is only £12.50 each, £20 CT only £10, £50 Food = £25. This means that after all weekly Expenditure a Couple have saved the same amount a Single Person has spent!

You don't need a Degree in Accountancy to realise what this implies financially - where a single Person has spent almost all of their MW every Week the Couple still have about £250 - which they can spend or save depending on Choice. A Deposit towards a Mortgage, an Awesome Holiday, Entertainment, buying and maintaining Transport, something towards any Children they might have in the Future, Money to help Relatives.

When we did our Campaign we mentioned Social as well as Fiscal Poverty and this is compounded when a Single Person doesn't have as much disposable Income to spend on Entertainment as a Couple!

Now the Problem has been realised does this mean that there will be Improvements to either Peoples Attitudes about it - and maybe even things to facilitate a Solution?

2. Brigham

Brigham

Couples pension is not twice the single one.

3. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Are you suggesting a single person should pay less taxes? Get more welfare?

I agree its tougher being single. But what is the proposed solution?

4. Wino

Wino

Yes; Yes;

In your dreams. Leave us alone.(y):D

5. buffoon

buffoon

Heck, I think I should be richer.

And I'm not even single.:D

6. Wino

Wino

You probably would be if you were.;)

7. buffoon

buffoon

Yeah, partnership is about sharing the problems that, as a single, you'd probably never have had in the first place :D

8. Wino

Wino

No one, and I mean, NO ONE, knows that better than I. :eek::p

9. lighthouse

I think they raised this because of the sort of Society we are becoming - where things like Facebook or Twitter for example seem to have replaced Human Interaction, where - at least from what I've seen - everything has suddenly become middle aged and middle Class - a Society that seems set for those already in a Partnership - with not much Scope for those who aren't. Culture caters for it more than anything else. The initial Premise for the Programme was getting a Mortgage - and how a Couple could save for one rather more easily than someone who is single...................but there are all those other things that happen concurrently.

Drabd asks whether there might be a Solution. The Fact it was mentioned at all was a Start, Maybe a few more single Media People might be another - who don't automatically assume everyone is in the same Position they are. How many of them - now in their 40s - have forgotten when they were single?

What's happening with Culture these Days is absolutely appalling!

What's worse is they don't realise how appalling they are!

10. 1956brother

1956brother

a single loner has no hope in england?

11. 1956brother

1956brother

(y) thank you:)

12. Cudaa

Cudaa

The solution is to stay in school and then learn a useful skill of some kind, everyone I know that has to work for minimum wage are high school drop outs, some were just lazy and some got caught up in drugs. If you have a skill and a good work ethic being single isn't bad, I'm single and make a good living, I have a paid for house and a new car and some money left over for savings. People make there own bed and then they have to sleep in it.

13. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello Cudaa! Welcome to the site, and the CT forum! :)

14. lighthouse

I remember when we earned 90p an Hour in the early 1980s - while my Colleagues were always rather reticent about telling me how much they were paid. Even in todays Money that was about equivalent to £4.50 - and this wasn't a School Drop-out - but someone who'd have quite happily continued into University. A Student then was better paid than I was - with a Grant, Housing Benefit, Rates etc - along with anything they might earn in any part-time Job they had. However you look at it 90p PHr sucks - while any Overtime calculated on that Rate (Time and a half) isn't exactly going to improve the National GDP.

15. lighthouse

After a Couple of Years of that you really do begin to wonder why you're doing it. It isn't Lazyness - no-one likes feeling inactive, thus something rather better paid (like, wow, there's something to show for it) or a Job that might be more interesting than loading/unloading Boxes, sending Consignments, making Tea or sweeping Floors usually helps the Motivation. Try renting a decent Flat in this Town on £36 PWK was almost impossible - so your Options for Accommodation are very limited, while that sort of Income doesn't exactly make you Mr Eligible when Madonna sings Songs like "Material World!".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice